Oil in water passage- my fault

I hate to admit this here, so I humbly approach the wise BITOG members….

I pulled the head off of my Jeep to get an idea of if I should do a full rebuild of the existing engine, find a better used one, or get a remanufactured engine. Then I went on vacation.

Since I discovered a ridge with lots of carbon buildup, I thought I’d soak the pistons while I was gone. So, I leveled off the pistons and poured in a mix of ATF and Marvel Mystery oil. I set the head back on and rolled on to vacation.

Once I got home, in my excitement, I took the head off and found Cylinders 1 and 4 were still full, 2 partially full, and 3 empty. Plus I had a mess of oil under the Jeep. Not thinking, I spun the crank…..yup, it instantly hit me that I just filled my cooling passages with oil.

What can I do about that?

The ridge is much less now that most of the carbon is off.

Thanks.
IMG_1514.jpeg

Before you fill it with coolant, once you have the engine back together, flush the cooling system with some kind of detergent. You could even use a small pump and cycle some dish soap water through the block.

Use a shop vac, even size it down to a straw if need be, or some suction tool? The oil should stay atop the coolant. Then change coolant and run cleaner through it if you’d like to be extra thorough, or at least straight water to see if it looks contaminated and then decide.

This morning I tried an idea I had. Since the water pump is off, I dumped water with dish detergent in the back passages that the oil went down. A mix of green and red came flowing out of the water pump hole. I did it once more and got mostly clear water. I’ll play around more tonight, but that seems to be working.

Thanks for the ideas.

Back