Oil in truck looks a little low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the NAPA synthetic in my truck has about 5000 miles on it. When I checked it about a month ago (Normally check it more often) It was just a hair below the full mark. I checked it this morning and it seems to be just a little above minimum. My driveway is slanted just a little but it has never affected it near this much. Should I put a little more in just to be safe? Thanks!

A neighbor when I was a kid, older gentleman had a mint original maybe '72 Caddy Coupe de Ville, once gave me some advice. Said, keep the oil topped up, even if you can't change it on time, make sure it's full. Guess that stuck with me, I always check it every week or two and top it up to the full mark if needed.

The "minimum" mark on the stick means "minimum," not "oh-my-god, the engine will seize if you don't top up immediately."

Check again on a level spot, if you're anywhere between max and min, its safe to operate the engine. If you know the engine does consume some oil, go ahead and top up so you don't let it go below the min mark before your next check. But if you don't think its consuming oil, just keep an eye on it. Some older engines, for example, had a habit of consuming a bit more oil at the "full" mark than at the "min" mark, so topping up all the time was just a waste of oil.

Find a level spot to check it. But minimum is the minimum level, OK to go to the mall, but not a cross country trip.

I add when its a PT. low. So when its below the midpoint between MIN and FULL I add enough to get to full. Its usually 1 QT between MIN and FULL.

Originally Posted By: Donald
So when its below the midpoint between MIN and FULL I add enough to get to full. Its usually 1 QT between MIN and FULL.

Is that true on all cars no matter what the capacity?

That has been my experience with anything I've seen get to the low mark. Don't know if it is a standard or not. Come to think of it I think it says this in the manuals for both of my cars.

Make sure you have an accurate reading which includes the oil temperature as well as time for the oil to drain back down from the upper engine. Your owners manual should tell you whether the oil should be checked at operating temperature or cold. Once you've determined if it's low, even if it's just a little low, bring it back up to the full line. If the Neptune oil life study taught us anything, it's that even a small amount of top up oil has a tremendous benefit in replenishing all of the oil in the crankcase. The lesson that I take from that is never pass up an opportunity to add oil when it drops below the full mark.

you can do what you want, cuz im sure you gonna anyway.
But in school they told us not to add oil until its at the ADD mark, something about some cars will burn oil faster if the level is higher,and most cars it takes 1qt from the add mark to fill so its easier to know how much oil your using

everytime i check my jeep after its been sitting over night the oil is a very small amount over the full mark. if i start it then check it right after its at the half mark. If i give it an hour to sit its just below the full mark.

so make sure to let your oil drain down to the pan before checking.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The "minimum" mark on the stick means "minimum," not "oh-my-god, the engine will seize if you don't top up immediately."

This ^^^ Usually even two quarts low won't hurt most engines(this assume a normal five quart or more fill)...

More than once, I ran my old '93 Grand Marquis till the oil was barely touching the stick, adding two quarts would bring it back to the middle of the safe zone... Three plus years later, it soldiers on... My friend that now has it repl the valve seals, says it uses less than a quart between changes...

I usually check my oil when filling with gas since most gas stations are fairly level.

But if you're questioning it or concerned, add half a quart to ease your mind. If it's low a half quart will help, and if it's reading lower than it really is, then a half quart isn't enough to damage anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back