Oil Hoarding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being wrong in your conclusions has always been allowed.

Being pompous in your self-congratulatory posts is also allowed.

However, as someone who has read the Constitution, along with the Federalist Papers, and many books on my shelf discussing the Constitution, and as someone who swore an oath to defend that very same Constitution, I feel it necessary to point out that your First Amendment right doesn’t apply here.

You agreed, when you joined, not to engage in trolling, baiting, and other obnoxious behaviors.

The government cannot take action against you for being a jerk in your speech. BITOG isn’t a public entity and it isn’t the government.

That’s a critical point and one that I want everyone reading this to understand - your First Amendment right is limited by your agreement, given willingly, to avoid inflammatory speech.

It’s called “trolling”. And it’s basically how this thread has gone.

You posted a false conclusion, criticized a bunch of people, argued the point.

Your original post was obnoxious.

This post is obnoxious, as well.

You presume many things that are patently false.

It’s your right to be wrong, but it’s absolutely not your right to troll the membership here.

Being wrong in your conclusions has always been allowed.

Being pompous in your self-congratulatory posts is also allowed.

However, as someone who has read the Constitution, along with the Federalist Papers, and many books on my shelf discussing the Constitution, and as someone who swore an oath to defend that very same Constitution, I feel it necessary to point out that your First Amendment right doesn’t apply here.

You agreed, when you joined, not to engage in trolling, baiting, and other obnoxious behaviors.

The government cannot take action against you for being a jerk in your speech. BITOG isn’t a public entity and it isn’t the government.

That’s a critical point and one that I want everyone reading this to understand - your First Amendment right is limited by your agreement, given willingly, to avoid inflammatory speech.

It’s called “trolling”. And it’s basically how this thread has gone.

You posted a false conclusion, criticized a bunch of people, argued the point.

Your original post was obnoxious.

This post is obnoxious, as well.

You presume many things that are patently false.

It’s your right to be wrong, but it’s absolutely not your right to troll the membership here.
giphy.webp

It's your opinion that I am trolling, baiting, etc., when all I did was make a statement voicing my opinion and I couldn't care less if anyone responded.

Sounds like you are being very judgmental, coming to a conclusion without knowing the thoughts and intent of my heart.

I respect your service to our country, but that doesn't make you the final word on what the Constitution allows or doesn't allow.

I disagree with your assessment, but you certainly have the right to voice it.

Astro 14,

I might also point out that I've been a member since 2005 (5 years longer than you I believe) and have never posted anything controversial, never trolled, or baited anyone in all my previous posts.

I suggest you do your research, get the facts before you accuse someone of an action they are not doing - it's Un-American.

With that said, let us resume our discussions on the weightier matters of oil; i.e., Group II vs Group III vs Group III+ vs Group 4; Pennzoil vs Mobil 1; Castrol vs QS; 0-20 vs 5-20; OCI's at 15k vs 10k vs 5k vs 3k, etc.

Astro 14, actually, freedom of speech covers all of the above.

I have the right to draw whatever conclusions I want based on evidences I've seen and further have the freedom to post my observations. Let's not be Twitter here.
Not too smart pointing out the law to someone that could put you on temporary or permanent vacation. You may be able to say anything you want, but that only lasts so long.

I don't think people hoard where I'm at. There's oil available, usually the oil that's priced on the high end. Many times I cannot find my preferred brand. This is what started me on Castrol.

I've posted this before; I think a lot of local auto repair places buy oil at say, Walmart because the profit margin for them is higher than buying it from a jobber. I think it explains why there's limited selection of oil, yet there's plenty of oil filters; who buys oil without a filter? I'm not saying this is wrong but the cost of doing business, especially in CA is prohibitive.
I never had time to drive to Walmart to stock up on oil for the shop.

Sounds like you are being very judgmental, coming to a conclusion without knowing the thoughts and intent of my heart.

I respect your service to our country, but that doesn't make you the final word on what the Constitution allows or doesn't allow.

I disagree with your assessment, but you certainly have the right to voice it.
It's pretty well established by what the constitution says and doesn't say. Exactly what are you disagreeing with? It's pretty well established that the first amendment applies to government. So the government can't tell you to shut up. But if you're in a private business and they tell you to shut up and you don't, they're perfectly free to toss you out and not violate your first amendment rights because they're not the government.

Is it hoarding if people buy up stocks or real estate so that the prices go up or there's less for others? I don't think you ever really made your case. There's no real shortages so I'm not sure the word hoarding oil is really even a thing. People have their own stash of oil that they may use up later. Or they're investing in oil like some "invest" in beanie babies. I think your entire premise itself was very judgmental and not very well supported by anything you actually said.

Like atikovi, if I see a 5 quart jug of M1 5w30 listed for .45 cents, error or not, I’m buying as much as I can get and could care less what anyone and everyone else says. If I don’t do it someone else would.

My car, my wife’s car, her daughters car would all get M1 5w30 until it is gone

BLUF- my understanding is you are frustrated that your Wal Mart in the Irvine,CA area did not have your preferred oils in stock. Rather than ask yourself why is this happening and what can be done about it, you took the easy road to take your frustrations out on certain members if BITOG.

I will say it again, move to Chicago area, Minneapolis area, Saint Louis area, Cleveland area. You will have no problem finding your preferred oils on the shelf at Walmart. There is a trade off living in beautiful sunny southern California.

There are many things that can be said about the responses I've received to my post that I think hoarding is wrong, but it wouldn't change a thing, so we should just agree to disagree and let it go, which is my intention.

If you feel hoarding is right & acceptable, hoard on, you have the freedom to do so. :)

I don't feel it's right, so I don't do it, and I have the right to my feelings. :)

GON, I listed no specific members by name in my post, I spoke about the general act of hoarding - no one mentioned by name. No personal attack levied by me on any member by name.

I was simply discussing the act thereof, and unfortunately it upset some folks, which was not my intention.

RevRider

With that said, let us resume our discussions on the weightier matters of oil; i.e., Group II vs Group III vs Group III+ vs Group 4; Pennzoil vs Mobil 1; Castrol vs QS; 0-20 vs 5-20; OCI's at 15k vs 10k vs 5k vs 3k, etc.
All subjects that have been beat to death multiple and numerous times on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back