Oil Hoarding

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO it depends on both counts, everyone can probably cite a different example to prove their point. One that comes to mind for me: Pretty sure the RGT deal that a few people have referred to in this thread was basically sale price of $10 or $11 (my tractor supply receipt says $10.49) + tax with a $10 rebate, so basically $1-$3 net price for 5 quart jug. I've seen some pricing mistakes since I took advantage of that deal but don't recall sales plus rebate that have come to that price. Hard to say if $2/5qt. spent in 2020 is going to be equivalent or much worse when compared to the next sale that is going on when the oil gets used. Plus one has to find time to hunt for the deal when oil is needed (to be fair, could also argue some people spend tons of time hunting for deals too). My oil stash/hoard will last a while but (to state the obvious) I've had trouble getting as good of a price as I used to on some things like toilet paper and butter.

Realistically the stuff you see here is probably not impacting individual's personal bottom lines. The cost of acquisition is likely pretty low and for the equivalent dollars spent to appreciate, one has to take that money they would have spent on oil and invest it in something that is going to appreciate.
I think it also depends on the oil and vehicles involved. If you have rather basic oil needs (read basic 5W30) and generally use the same oil on lots of vehicles sure, take advantage of a deal. If you have a variety of vehicles taking different oils or one-offs, to me it's not really so great/necessary b/c if something happens and you don't need it now you have to spend time selling it off etc.

OH PUULEEEEASE! It's not like a medical necessity like TP, face masks or hand sanitizer during a pandemic. Hope the pic of my hoard doesn't give you a coronary, but I paid about 10 cents a quart for nealy 300 quarts from Walmart. Probably not even a blip on the radar among local oil supply inventory, letalone nationally.

View attachment 111249
10 cents a quart? Please explain how that works.

I've posted this before; I think a lot of local auto repair places buy oil at say, Walmart because the profit margin for them is higher than buying it from a jobber.
I see this a lot at our Wally, guys with full carts of nothing but oil and filters that are dressed like a mech.

In for this answer..hahahah...I've never undestood how folks are doing this.
Walmart had a few “sales” (pricing errors) last year where they were practically giving it away. I got in on one where I got 6 jugs of PP and 6 rolls of shop towels for under $15. (they priced the bundle backwards, buy towels get oil free instead of buy oil get free towels) And some of the other “deals” were literally pennies per quart.

Walmart had a few “sales” (pricing errors) last year where they were practically giving it away. I got in on one where I got 6 jugs of PP and 6 rolls of shop towels for under $15. (they priced the bundle backwards, buy towels get oil free instead of buy oil get free towels) And some of the other “deals” were literally pennies per quart.
Can you give any other examples?

I don’t remember all of them and the threads were deleted. These “sales” are against the rules now 🙁.

But I think I remember there was a case of 3 jugs of Chevron Supreme for $1. 6 quarts of Mobil 1 for under $6 and a few others. It was pretty wild in the product deals and rebates section of the forum for a while, haha 😆

Time value of money says push always push off spending is my point.
There's that little thing called inflation... I buy almost exclusively online and onsale, to minimize cost. Grabbing a 5 qt jug off the garage shelf whenever I need it goes a long way, vs having to run to the store. I keep 0w20, 5w30 and some high ZDDP oil for my classics.

Same pricing error netted me a dozen jugs of Valvoline Maxlife for $0.37 each and about two dozen jugs of Castrol Edge HM for $0.34 each.

Someone posted it here and some of us were quick on the draw. Happened with 5 or 6 different oils IIRC over the course of a few days and then they fixed it.

I also got most of my Carquest oil for about ~$1 a quart because I said I'd buy everything the store had at that price.

My Rotella T6 0W-40 was $7 a gallon from AAP clearance.

I've gotten into situations where I buy oil, then continue researching and realize I'd rather have a different oil. I've come to the conclusion that it's better for me to research, but wait to buy until I'm almost ready for an oil change. If I buy early I change my mind too many times between the time I buy it and when it's time to use it.

Same pricing error netted me a dozen jugs of Valvoline Maxlife for $0.37 each and about two dozen jugs of Castrol Edge HM for $0.34 each.

Someone posted it here and some of us were quick on the draw. Happened with 5 or 6 different oils IIRC over the course of a few days and then they fixed it.

I also got most of my Carquest oil for about ~$1 a quart because I said I'd buy everything the store had at that price.

My Rotella T6 0W-40 was $7 a gallon from AAP clearance.
So it sounds like the crazy deals are pricing mistakes mainly? I just do the free for life FCP Euro for my 3 VWs.

Good Evening To All,

It’s been a little time since I posted something, but I regularly visit the site, getting caught up in the world of oil.

It’s been a real challenge to get oil and I‘ve come to the conclusion that what contributes to this shortage is people who feel compelled to clear the shelves of oil leaving nothing for others; building their oil reserves to exceed that of the Strategic Petroleum Oil Reserves of the United States.

Who needs to have a multi-year supply of oil just sitting on their shelves? And then boast about it? I’ve read the posts of folks who do this on this board.

This is a selfish act and people that hoard oil or any other commodity should be ashamed of themselves.

Just shedding a little light on the hoarding darkness.

RevRider
LOL oh the shame and don't forget the Drama.

I picked up four 5 liter jugs of Pennzoil 10w30 high mileage for 2 cents a jug about 9 months ago from walmart. Not sure if it was a error or clearance, but that was the local price posted online for all the stores in my area.

Good Evening To All,

It’s been a little time since I posted something, but I regularly visit the site, getting caught up in the world of oil.

It’s been a real challenge to get oil and I‘ve come to the conclusion that what contributes to this shortage is people who feel compelled to clear the shelves of oil leaving nothing for others; building their oil reserves to exceed that of the Strategic Petroleum Oil Reserves of the United States.

Who needs to have a multi-year supply of oil just sitting on their shelves? And then boast about it? I’ve read the posts of folks who do this on this board.

This is a selfish act and people that hoard oil or any other commodity should be ashamed of themselves.

Just shedding a little light on the hoarding darkness.

RevRider
Nah. You’re not shedding light.

You’re just judging others.

Finding blame.

I used to stack up 5 qt bottles whenever there's on sale or a rebate. But, hoarding is just using too much space in my garage. Now, I don't do that anymore. Anyway there's always cheap SuperTech or with a few dollars more a Quaker State that will save my day.

10 cents a quart? Please explain how that works.
It's was on Walmart.com a year ago. 5 quart jugs for 45 cents with free shipping.

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

I don’t remember all of them and the threads were deleted. These “sales” are against the rules now 🙁.

But I think I remember there was a case of 3 jugs of Chevron Supreme for $1. 6 quarts of Mobil 1 for under $6 and a few others. It was pretty wild in the product deals and rebates section of the forum for a while, haha 😆
Really? Those types of sales get mentioned all the time on Slickdeals.net. Usually they're short lived or sometimes the deal never happens. But you get lots of comments, from people who got and didn't get the deal. One of the best deals I ever got from Slickdeals was a $50 off $100 purchase at Home Depot. Some people went nuts on that with multiple email address. Even after Home Depot shut it off, they still fully honored the coupon even though it was released by mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back