Oil Hoarding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your conclusion is wrong. As many numerous posts have said, most if not all oil was purchased online or with sales, clearances etc….

I bought 12 5 quart jugs of Chevron Supreme from Walmart.com in 2020 because they were around $16 a piece. The shell rotella was from close outs from Home Depot. The Amsoil was when I bought two jugs and a case of Amsoil cvt fluid offline.

I’ve seen different Walmart shelves practically empty and then the next week full of oil. Like another poster mentioned, you go to auto parts store their shelves are always stocked because of their ridiculous higher prices

Attachments

• 82193A19-8167-4E8F-BEE2-E578D086EF21.jpeg
    82193A19-8167-4E8F-BEE2-E578D086EF21.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 17
Member @atikova, I’m guessing he bought all of this oil at full price because he just loves this oil right??

If I seen this on substantial clearance you dang right I would load up too

Attachments

• 1659701971489.jpeg
    1659701971489.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 38
There is nothing to defend in this thread. The OP can't purchase the oil he wants at his orange county California Wal Mart. He blames people who keep large quantities of oil in their garage.

The real issue for the op is Wal Marts challenge of hiring employees in orange county, not a shortage of motor oil. If the op lived in a area that did not have worker vacancies, there would be ample motor oils on the shelf.

I used to send my wife pictures of the empty grocery shelf's in the Wal Mart in Heber City , UT. The empty shelves were well prior to MAR 2020. Heber area had a growing population, lack of additional stores opening in the area, and a lackadaisical employee base. This equated to Wal Mart in Heber City not being able to stock the shelves. The empty shelves had nothing to do with availability of goods.

Comrades. Oil hoarding is bad and scooting around in your private jet is doubly bad. I’m talking to you Taylor Swift. The peoples committee is going to tax your jet like up in Canada and your extravagant oil purchases will feel the pain of a hoarding tax. Soon you will feel the jack boots of the POHC, People’s Oil Hoarding Committee. 😡

Maybe its not oil hoarders, but where you live.

How about you look at moving from Southern California to Chicagoland. You can sell your home in motor oil starved Irvine, CA and buy a home in Chicagoland, and you will have access to all the Mobile 1, Valvoline, and Quaker State you want in the Chicagoland area. Not only plenty of motor oil in Chicagoland, but lots of fresh water. And you likely will save about 75 percent on your monthly housing bill.
No thanks. You can have that crappy winter weather, the humidity in the summer, I myself will stay west of CO.

I have years-worth of motor oil. Probably longer than I hope to still have my current vehicles.

Not everyone is in the same life situation as you. I'm not a successful person and I don't have much to spend on anything, not just automotive-related. The newest car I have is 17 years old and the tax value of all 4 cars in my family is less than $10k. I only buy things when it's on sale, clearance, and yes sometimes price-mistakes. I buy more now to save more later when it's something that don't expire and is a necessary expense.

So what? Stop trying to make me feel bad for saving some money to buy things in advance. Heck, why blame the few others who like to have a collection of whatever, when it's their hobby and and its their own use of their own money that they worked to earn? Shelves are well stocked where I am, try ordering online instead if availability is your concern.

I have years-worth of motor oil. Probably longer than I hope to still have my current vehicles.

Not everyone is in the same life situation as you. I'm not a successful person and I don't have much to spend on anything, not just automotive-related. The newest car I have is 17 years old and the tax value of all 4 cars in my family is less than $10k. I only buy things when it's on sale, clearance, and yes sometimes price-mistakes. I buy more now to save more later when it's something that don't expire and is a necessary expense.

So what? Stop trying to make me feel bad for saving some money to buy things in advance. Heck, why blame the few others who like to have a collection of whatever, when it's their hobby and and its their own use of their own money that they worked to earn? Shelves are well stocked where I am, try ordering online instead if availability is your concern.
B/c those deals will always be there on an as-needed basis has always been my take w/r to motor oil. Why spend in advance when you don't need to?

I have a stash but how much equals a stash? 5 Jugs, 100 quarts, 100 5qt jugs? I personally have 14 5qt jugs; all 0W-20. For me that is 2 years plus 2 oil changes in 3 cars. So, 3 cars get 2 changes each a year. That is 6 jugs for per year. Some of those had a rebate like M1 and PUP. The others are Kirkland which were already decently priced without a rebate. I also have 24 qts are M1 0W-40; which is 3 oil changes (Car has an external oil cooler and I use the bigger Oil Filter to I use 8qts as opposed to 6.5 stock). Those are for my Audi. I bought when I was actually driving the car. Now, I don't drive it and the oil is just sitting in the boxes.

I did this to save some money knowing that prices were going to go up or in the case of the Audi, it was a few years ago and the price was good at Costco. Why spend more on something when you can get it cheaper. I however would have gotten more if the rebates allowed AND I had more storage. I wouldn't have gotten a lot more but maybe a few more M1 and PUP jugs. But then the other side of me wants to try something like HPL in each car for a good cleaning eventually. So, I have enough for now. If I didn't have to worry about warranty one of those cars which only does ~2k miles ever OCI would get an oil change every year as opposed to 6 months. One that is out of warranty I would push out closer to maybe 10k miles but my wife doesn't want me to since it is her car and the oil is cheap enough to change. If the oil cost a lot more, I would be more hesitant.

B/c those deals will always be there on an as-needed basis has always been my take w/r to motor oil. Why spend in advance when you don't need to?
Sometimes those deals aren't as good as before. Take M1 for example. I got the 5qt jug for under $25 last year then a $15 rebate. THis year it is closer to $27 and a $10 rebate. Sure, you still make out but not as well as the previous year.

There is that Valvoline rebate now too. I was thinking about trying Valvoline but the price is $32 at walmart and then only $5 off. Even after the Costco price increase a 5gt jug still only costs $20. And M1 still costs $17. But, I do understand that there is a point where you ask, when is enough enough.

This is a selfish act and people that hoard oil or any other commodity should be ashamed of themselves.

Just shedding a little light on the hoarding darkness.
OH PUULEEEEASE! It's not like a medical necessity like TP, face masks or hand sanitizer during a pandemic. Hope the pic of my hoard doesn't give you a coronary, but I paid about 10 cents a quart for nealy 300 quarts from Walmart. Probably not even a blip on the radar among local oil supply inventory, letalone nationally.

Mobil oil bought 8-2021.JPG

OH PUULEEEEASE! It's not like a medical necessity like TP, face masks or hand sanitizer during a pandemic. Hope the pic of my hoard doesn't give you a coronary, but I paid about 10 cents a quart for nealy 300 quarts from Walmart. Probably not even a blip on the radar among local oil supply inventory, letalone nationally.

View attachment 111249
I do agree. If we had a situation where there was NO oil to be found anywhere and a few had hoarded all of it, I think the situation would be different. But there are not medical supplies, masks, gloves, wipes and spray where people were extremely selfish and made it difficult for anyone to get supplies.

Sometimes those deals aren't as good as before. Take M1 for example. I got the 5qt jug for under $25 last year then a $15 rebate. THis year it is closer to $27 and a $10 rebate. Sure, you still make out but not as well as the previous year.

There is that Valvoline rebate now too. I was thinking about trying Valvoline but the price is $32 at walmart and then only $5 off. Even after the Costco price increase a 5gt jug still only costs $20. And M1 still costs $17. But, I do understand that there is a point where you ask, when is enough enough.
Time value of money says push always push off spending is my point.

Yes, though not likely as low as what I've paid. My threshold to buy more is pretty low, less than $0.5/qt. I'm considering trying FCPEuro's oil change for my Volvo to not worry about price in the future when combined with Paypal's free returns. But even that takes about 10+ oil changes to be worth it, plus the added trouble of packing and shipping it back. I've also sold a lot of oil I don't think I'll get to use. Buyer pays less than retail, like $9 per 5-qt of M1, and I get to free some room in the garage and not lose money.

View attachment 111249
What do you do with this? How long will this take to use?

Time value of money says push always push off spending is my point.
IMHO it depends on both counts, everyone can probably cite a different example to prove their point. One that comes to mind for me: Pretty sure the RGT deal that a few people have referred to in this thread was basically sale price of $10 or $11 (my tractor supply receipt says $10.49) + tax with a $10 rebate, so basically $1-$3 net price for 5 quart jug. I've seen some pricing mistakes since I took advantage of that deal but don't recall sales plus rebate that have come to that price. Hard to say if $2/5qt. spent in 2020 is going to be equivalent or much worse when compared to the next sale that is going on when the oil gets used. Plus one has to find time to hunt for the deal when oil is needed (to be fair, could also argue some people spend tons of time hunting for deals too). My oil stash/hoard will last a while but (to state the obvious) I've had trouble getting as good of a price as I used to on some things like toilet paper and butter.

Realistically the stuff you see here is probably not impacting individual's personal bottom lines. The cost of acquisition is likely pretty low and for the equivalent dollars spent to appreciate, one has to take that money they would have spent on oil and invest it in something that is going to appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back