Oil Hoarding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening To All,

It’s been a little time since I posted something, but I regularly visit the site, getting caught up in the world of oil.

It’s been a real challenge to get oil and I‘ve come to the conclusion that what contributes to this shortage is people who feel compelled to clear the shelves of oil leaving nothing for others; building their oil reserves to exceed that of the Strategic Petroleum Oil Reserves of the United States.

Who needs to have a multi-year supply of oil just sitting on their shelves? And then boast about it? I’ve read the posts of folks who do this on this board.

This is a selfish act and people that hoard oil or any other commodity should be ashamed of themselves.

Just shedding a little light on the hoarding darkness.

RevRider
Live and let live. Each to their own. My oil changes for myself, family and friends, are $5-7.

Really? Those types of sales get mentioned all the time on Slickdeals.net. Usually they're short lived or sometimes the deal never happens. But you get lots of comments, from people who got and didn't get the deal. One of the best deals I ever got from Slickdeals was a $50 off $100 purchase at Home Depot. Some people went nuts on that with multiple email address. Even after Home Depot shut it off, they still fully honored the coupon even though it was released by mistake.
Yeah, here’s the thread with the new rules posted by you know who, lol 😆

Yeah, here’s the thread with the new rules posted by you know who, lol 😆

Oh yeah, items number 5, 6 and 7 are pretty standard over at Slickdeals. That's basically the whole point of the site. Half the time the deals that are pricing errors don't go through, but sometimes you get lucky. And boasting about a deal is the whole point. This entire thread has people boasting about how they got an oil deal and we can go on and on about the old deals, I remember when Nexgen oil used to be free after rebate and sometimes the price was so low you even made $2 on the deal. But then we got jaded as it ran for months and didn't bother loading up and then the deal went away. And yeah, there's still some Milwaukee or Ryobi deals on Home Depot where you can get a lower price with a buy one get one free deal and just return the free item or never pick it up to get an even lower price. Not really gaming it depending on how you look at it because that "hack" has been around a long time and Home Depot could have shut it off a long time ago if they wanted to. Some deals now are set so you can't do it, but there's still some that allow you to do it.

Oh yeah, items number 5, 6 and 7 are pretty standard over at Slickdeals. That's basically the whole point of the site. Half the time the deals that are pricing errors don't go through, but sometimes you get lucky. And boasting about a deal is the whole point. This entire thread has people boasting about how they got an oil deal and we can go on and on about the old deals, I remember when Nexgen oil used to be free after rebate and sometimes the price was so low you even made $2 on the deal. But then we got jaded as it ran for months and didn't bother loading up and then the deal went away. And yeah, there's still some Milwaukee or Ryobi deals on Home Depot where you can get a lower price with a buy one get one free deal and just return the free item or never pick it up to get an even lower price. Not really gaming it depending on how you look at it because that "hack" has been around a long time and Home Depot could have shut it off a long time ago if they wanted to. Some deals now are set so you can't do it, but there's still some that allow you to do it.
I going to bookmark slick deals right now because I keep forgetting to check that site.

My preferred oil & filter is Amsoil. If I'm going to have to have stuff shipped you're **** right I'm ordering a lot!

When I buy Honda DW-1 the best way to buy it is online and to wait for a good price. Hence buying a ton.
If your already using Amsoil use their universal atf to replace the DW1. I’m using their SS blue cap atf in my wife’s 19 Pilot. Sorry got off topic.

I've taken time to review the responses and it appears some of the justifications for hoarding are as follows:

1. Oil OCD buying compulsions, folks can't control themselves and are forced to hoard.
2. Best price/lowest price/clearance price buying, folks can't resist a deal and feel having a multi-year supply of oil is in the best interest of their financial state.
3. Oil buying is a hobby, which they enjoy. :)
4. Oil buying to make sure when pandemics hit, they will have amply supply to see themselves oil fed through the famine.

Every person has the freedom to go into their tent and do what seems right in their eyes. (y)

As for me, I operate from the principle of using (purchasing) only as much as I need to do the oil service, with perhaps a few spare quarts for "top-off's," etc.

Regarding statements that I am "jealous; coronaries & relocation to Chicago..." it appears my post jangled some "nerves" of folks. For what it's worth, I am not jealous of hoarding activities; my heart is in excellent condition (not that anyone cares) & Chicago is not on my list of habitable cities, regardless of their oil supply.

I plan to change my oil in my vehicle today, using the 5 quart container of Castrol I purchased last week, freeing up shelf space in my garage. :)

RevRider

I've taken time to review the responses and it appears some of the justifications for hoarding are as follows:

1. Oil OCD buying compulsions, folks can't control themselves and are forced to hoard.
2. Best price/lowest price/clearance price buying, folks can't resist a deal and feel having a multi-year supply of oil is in the best interest of their financial state.
3. Oil buying is a hobby, which they enjoy. :)
4. Oil buying to make sure when pandemics hit, they will have amply supply to see themselves oil fed through the famine.

Every person has the freedom to go into their tent and do what seems right in their eyes. (y)

As for me, I operate from the principle of using (purchasing) only as much as I need to do the oil service, with perhaps a few spare quarts for "top-off's," etc.

Regarding statements that I am "jealous; coronaries & relocation to Chicago..." it appears my post jangled some "nerves" of folks. For what it's worth, I am not jealous of hoarding activities; my heart is in excellent condition (not that anyone cares) & Chicago is not on my list of habitable cities, regardless of their oil supply.

I plan to change my oil in my vehicle today, using the 5 quart container of Castrol I purchased last week, freeing up shelf space in my garage. :)

RevRider
Read what you wrote in the original post, and then read that follow up. Why even start this thread then?

Good example of holier-than-thou gaslighting, ladies and gentlemen.

Read what you wrote in the original post, and then read that follow up. Why even start this thread then?

Good example of holier-than-thou gaslighting, ladies and gentlemen.
Well at least there wasn't much bickering and arguing.

Is Ruhroh assigned the responsibility of what can be posted on this board? He controls freedom of speech and thought? And Ruhroh must be Divine in order to know the thoughts/intents of a person's heart. It's good to be Ruhroh.

No gaslighting motives at all involved in my post, just exercising my right as an American. :)

Is Ruhroh assigned the responsibility of what can be posted on this board? He controls freedom of speech and thought? And Ruhroh must be Divine in order to know the thoughts/intents of a person's heart. It's good to be Ruhroh.

No gaslighting motives at all involved in my post, just exercising my right as an American. :)
That's more bait. This 'selfish and ashamed' one ain't taking it. Good day.

And Slo Town, I haven't disappeared, just took some time to read the posts and like Superman said in one of his movies, "I am always around, Lois."

What right would that be?

Specious conclusions?

Blaming others?

Patting yourself on the back?

You’ve managed all three.

Astro 14, actually, freedom of speech covers all of the above.

I have the right to draw whatever conclusions I want based on evidences I've seen and further have the freedom to post my observations. Let's not be Twitter here. :)
I have the right to blame selfish people who hoard.
I have the right to feel good about what I posted; I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't believe in what I was saying; sorry people don't like it, not my problem.

You folks need to read the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights - great documents.

I hit a nerve with hoarders on this board because their conscience tells them hoarding is not right; whether it be on oil or whatever product it might be. This is a simple truth known by all, but suppressed by many. Hoarders, in my opinion, operate on a "me first, me only" mentality without regard for the needs of others.

Who can justify having years, and years, and years of oil sitting on a shelf in their garage?

Remember, these are my opinions, and I have the right, the freedom to state them just like others on this board have the right to voice theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back