Oil grade suggestion for 2021 Hyundai Kona 2.0l

I am in Vermont with lots of mountain driving and it got pretty hot here last summer 96f/35c, I want an opinion if 5w-30 would be better suited for the Kona vs 5w-20, the manual states that between 5w-20 and 10w-30 can be used. I know I am overthinking this, but just want to hear some opinions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220302-104212.jpg
    Screenshot_20220302-104212.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 66
I am using 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum in my 2.0 in an Elantra right now. I have also used 10w-30 Cheveron Supreme in summer and 5w-20 PUP in Winter. I have not noticed much difference in mileage or performance. No oil consumption at 33k. If I had one oil to choose it would be 5w-30 like I am running now. Covers all the bases.

Looks like 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30 are all recommended for well above your expected summer temperatures, so I would focus on the expected winter temperatures. If you expect temps below 0*F, I wouldn't bother with running 10w-30 to make your life easier.

If you ever need to stop in and grab an extra quart of oil somewhere, you're more likely to find a 5w-20 or 5w-30.

Since your 2.0 engine does not require any special manufacturer certs outside of the latest API/ILSAC approved oils, I would just run your favorite brand of Dexos1 Gen2 approved 5w-30, unless you are more interested in saving maybe 0.5mpg with a 5w-20.

For anyone that can't decide between a 5w-20 and 5w-30, I suggest 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum. It's on the thinner end of the 5w-30 grade and has great base stocks.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will prob go with 5w-30 for this next oc which will be a spring summer fill, yay obsessing over oci's and oil grade. I had just got 5w20 pup but the brain did the thing.

I am in Vermont with lots of mountain driving and it got pretty hot here last summer 96f/35c, I want an opinion if 5w-30 would be better suited for the Kona vs 5w-20, the manual states that between 5w-20 and 10w-30 can be used. I know I am overthinking this, but just want to hear some opinions.
Looks like whatever you can get your hands on the cheapest from 5w20-10w30 will be just fine

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will prob go with 5w-30 for this next oc which will be a spring summer fill, yay obsessing over oci's and oil grade. I had just got 5w20 pup but the brain did the thing.
My next oil change is 5w-20 PUP. I have 3 jugs and will use with confidence year round. The other oils I used were leftovers from sold vehicles.

Hyundai in Australia recommend 5w30 and I use full synthetic A3/B4. The temps that I drive in can be -1 to 40 degrees Centigrade. I am not married to any brand, just use the correct specifications called up in the handbook or better.

Hyundai Australia informed me that they have no preference on oil being mineral, semi synthetic or full synthetic.

In my opinion full synthetic will be better over your temp range.

Same engine as in my 2020 Kia Soul -- I've had very good results using Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w30.

Back