Oil Grade question 5 w 20??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been lurking here for awhile but this is my first post.

I used to own a F150 Triton engine. It required 5w-20. right before I sent it back to the dealer when the lease ended, I bought 2 cases of Motocraft 5w 20 semi synthetic. (Stupid is as stupid does). I got a Ford Explorer 6 cylinder and it uses 5w-30. Can I use the 5/20 in the explorer? Will it do any damage? Is it enough protection at high Temps? or should I find a f-150 owner and give him a present.

One guy told me to use it half 5w-20 to half 5w-30. I was told long a go to not mix grades what do you guys think? I have 20 qts, needs to get out of the garage.

That engine was spec'd for 30 weight oil.

Personally, I wouldn't use a 20 weight oil in that engine, although I'll admit you probably could do it.

Most places will exchange the oil for you, have you tried doing that? That would be the best solution.

You know Ford back spec'd many of their engines to 5w20. Someone posted the list of engines here awhile back. Don't know if the 4.0L V6 was one or not. I know of one poster here who has successfully run Xw20 oils in his back spec'd Aerostar.

No matter, MC5w20 syn blend is a great dino. IMO, you can run the oil with a quality filter with no worries. I would. Fwiw, my son runs MC 5w20 in his 4.6L Explorer.

I saw where you have an 06, if it's still under warranty, that could be consideration for you.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Personally, I wouldn't use a 20 weight oil in that engine, although I'll admit you probably could do it.

Most places will exchange the oil for you, have you tried doing that? That would be the best solution.

I don't have the reciept. I bought it at autozone.... maybe they'll do an exchange.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
You know Ford back spec'd many of their engines to 5w20. Someone posted the list of engines here awhile back. Don't know if the 4.0L V6 was one or not. I know of one poster here who has successfully run Xw20 oils in his back spec'd Aerostar.

No matter, MC5w20 syn blend is a great dino. IMO, you can run the oil with a quality filter with no worries. I would. Fwiw, my son runs MC 5w20 in his 4.6L Explorer.

The 4.0L V6 was never back spec'd for some reason. Even the newer model years still call for 5W-30. I had a similar issue when I traded in my wife's last Mountaineer which had the 4.6L V8. I gave most of the 5W-20 that I had on hand to my father-in-law. I kept a few quarts and use it as top up oil.

That particular Ford V-6 is a German sourced engine. Given the German tendency to spec heavier weight oils, I am surprised it does not require a 5W40 weight. Matter-of-fact, that is what I would probably use if I had one.

Since they have gone out of their way for many years to single out that engine to spec a 30 weight oil, I see no reason to tempt fate and use a lighter grade.

This engine has it's orgins going way back to the cologne series of 4 and 6 cyl german made series. AFAIK, it has never been back spec'd for 5-20 as others have stated. Just store it in your garage--20 qts is nothing for the oil stashers here on BITOG. Oil keeps for at least a few years, and so many vehicles are going to 20 wt oils that you will find a use for it before you know it.

It probably won't hurt anything. Mixing grades won't hurt at all, so mixing it it 50:50 with either 5W-30 or 5W-40 will work.

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame

I don't have the reciept. I bought it at autozone.... maybe they'll do an exchange.

No reciept is usually no problem.

This is what you do. Think of something else you need to buy from them, then call them on the phone. Ask about your other item. After they tell you about the price and availabilty of it, say "OK, sounds good...Oh yeah, I bought some oil from you, but I made a mistake and bought the wrong grade of oil, would you exchange that for me?"

No way they're going to say no to your exchange, given that it sounds like your purchase of the other item is dependent on them saying they'll exchange the oil, and especially after you admitted it was your mistake.

This is what you do. Think of something else you need to buy from them, then call them on the phone. Ask about your other item. After they tell you about the price and availabilty of it, say "OK, sounds good...Oh yeah, I bought some oil from you, but I made a mistake and bought the wrong grade of oil, would you exchange that for me?"

No way they're going to say no to your exchange, given that it sounds like your purchase of the other item is dependent on them saying they'll exchange the oil, and especially after you admitted it was your mistake.

exactly!!!

If that is the same 4.0 that was used in 2001 when ford went to 5w20 in most vehicles that is one engine that was still specd for 5w30, the reason ford gave is that the oil pumps could not be modified to use 5w20

Originally Posted By: Alex38

exactly!!!

I like Auto Zone but they are being dorks here
spankme2.gif
, they won't exchange without a reciept... I'll find a use.

I'm thinking next time I change my explorer oil I'll go half and half 5/20. In other threads I'm reading here it seems like it is worse to go heavier than lighter.

My daughter's car is a 98 honda crv which calls for 5/30. Do You think I can also do the same in her car for a few changes until its gone?

I know 20 qts is not a lot but, I don't live far from Ben Franklin and the Liberty Bell and he said "Waste not; Want Not"... I gotta be true to my homey
wink.gif

that engine was never changed over to 5w-20 because of the cam follower failure, everything i have been told DO NOT run anything but what is speced in owners manual

I like Auto Zone but they are being dorks here
spankme2.gif
, they won't exchange without a reciept... I'll find a use.
WOW. What shocker! NOT. Go to the promo board and read the thread about the 20% AZ discount that only included certain things. On top of that they made BITOG take down the coopin link, nice folks.
smirk2.gif

I'm thinking next time I change my explorer oil I'll go half and half 5/20
IMO, that sounds like plan. As some mentioned, especially a Winter OCI. I'd buy it from you if I lived closer. LOL! Try Craigslist.

From reading your post I assume you serviced your lease. Prolly better than most lease owners.

I could have a greased pig contest and charge $5/person to enter use the oil to grease the....
thumbsup2.gif

No, you can't use a multi-viscosity oil in a greased pig contest, everybody knows that
grin2.gif

Maybe you could exchange it at WM?

Or list it here for sale? That's a popular oil, someone will want it.

Originally Posted By: CentralNY1
Originally Posted By: sayjac

The 4.0L V6 was never back spec'd for some reason. Even the newer model years still call for 5W-30. I had a similar issue when I traded in my wife's last Mountaineer which had the 4.6L V8. I gave most of the 5W-20 that I had on hand to my father-in-law. I kept a few quarts and use it as top up oil.

+1 The 4.0L Ford engine oil pump was not designed for a 20 grade oil. Use 5W30, or as mentioned use the 5W20 for top up oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back