Oil goes 8k miles, but what about the oil filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do 10K OCIs with just the filter installed at the time of the OC. Your good for 8K.

Last edited:
I do 2 OCI's on one oil filer (Napa Gold) about 10,000 KM (6200 MI) on a 97 Civic.

My 2015 Caravan only has 9,xxx KM on it. I changed the FF at 4000KM and replaced the filter at that time.

Unless you are using a cheap Oil filter, then 8000 MI should be fine.
What type of filter are you using?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
Do you still do that every 3000 ?

Last change on the wife's car was 14K and some change. It's been a year and a month since that change, it's almost time for another change.

Last oil sample results were great and suggested I try 16K.

Didn't change the filter during the 14K.

Haven't had a problem yet using the filter for 10k. My Jetta went 314k and was running fine when sold. I even let it go 12k at times.

My two Toyota's are too new to know, but they go 10k OCI's.

If it bugs you, change the filter and add some top-up oil. That extra half-quart or so will freshen up the oil a bit, in case you are worried about "long" OCI's. But otherwise, plenty of people run the filter for the whole extended interval, and have reported nothing found.

If you pay for quality oil, then buy quality filters. With a clean engine to begin with (not sludged up) even the cheapest filters will easily do 5k. If it's a blend media and has a silicone ADBV I would comfortably run them 10k. Throw in a full synthetic media and no problem to 15k.

I run Motorcraft FL400s filters on my Fusion for 7,500 miles.. the same length of my OCI.

The filter can easily handle the miles, and while I vary which oil I run from OCI to OCI, I always use oil that is capable of running for 7,500 miles or more.

.. but I may step up to 10,000 miles soon, as I have some Fram Ultras on hand now.

It sounds like Jiffy-Lube's 3,000 mile jingle is ringing in your ears. No one runs 3k OCIs these days.

My wife's Mazda wants a 10k OCI, and any decent filter shouldn't have a problem doing that - OEM included. I don't bottom-fish on filters, though.

Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
Do you still do that every 3000 ?

Oil in my E430 usually goes to 10-12k miles and cartridge oil filter goes the same distance most of the times.

One time I tried it for 2 OCI's of 10k each, the filter looked like it was in used less than 2-3k miles.

A good filter in a clean engine can easily do 15-20k miles.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
I use FL400s on my Mazda 6 with 2.5L

"OEM" size is the 910, right? Any benefits of using the 400 vs the 910? I ask because I have a 2012 6 that calls for the 910, and a 2014 CX-9 that calls for the 400. Instead of keeping both in stock here, if I could just buy a case of 400's that would be great.

thanks.

I don't have a mazda, but my fusion specs the same filter - the FL910s, and I run the FL400s instead.

My decision to do this is based on a few reasons:

1- The filter is a little bit longer, and thus the filter element can hold more, and also has greater surface area. Considering the amount of space inside the filter that is taken up by the ADBV and bypass, it seems to me that an extra 3/4" of filter can actually amount to a significantly large percentage increase in filter surface (my best guess is about 33% longer filter media).

2- Larger surface area for the same amount of oil flow should equate to a lower overall differential pressure over each square cm of media. This, to me, should equate to a lower chance of failure, and a longer life/FCI.

3- From my experience, it seems that the FL400s is either the same price, or frequently even cheaper, than the FL910s.

4- This is minimal, almost negligible, since I do not over-tighten my filters, but a slightly longer filter makes for more surface to grip when I am mounting/removing the filter. Makes it a little easier.

... Keep in mind, in my engine compartment, the filter is mounted facing down, at the bottom of the engine, and the plastic engine cover does leave enough room for the filter.

I know that on some cars, going with the longer filter ends up leaving the filter sticking out, or reduces tolerance, so going to a bigger filter might not work for you.

Still believing in those tears
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back