Oil from Europe

Anyone know how much motor oil someone can bring back from a trip to Europe? Should I look for AC over here? :{) I am thinking my BMW might like a dose of oil from the homeland.

quote:
Originally posted by shanneba: Anyone know how much motor oil someone can bring back from a trip to Europe? Should I look for AC over here? :{) I am thinking my BMW might like a dose of oil from the homeland.
If you try to come in the US with a load of cans of engine oil, the customs guys are going to think that you are either wierd or smuggling something in the cans.

vad

quote:
Originally posted by shanneba: Anyone know how much motor oil someone can bring back from a trip to Europe? Should I look for AC over here? :{)
Be prepared for a price shock!

Bring as much as you want up to your duty free exemption, which is $800. If you bring more, you'll have to pay standard duty rates on the excess. And any other gifts or items you buy will cut into your $800. And I thought it was annoying bringing back alcohol as gifts. [Duh!]

quote:
Originally posted by vad:
quote:
Originally posted by shanneba: Anyone know how much motor oil someone can bring back from a trip to Europe? Should I look for AC over here? :{)
Be prepared for a price shock!

Fill your suitcase with oil when you go to Europe. Oil is unf...ingbelievable expensive here [Smile] Example: 4 qt Mobil1 0W-40 USD 95, 4 qt Castrol SLX 0W-40 USD 120.

Is there a limit? Isn't it like alcohol between coutries in Europe, if you can prove it's for your own consumption, there is no limit [Smile] Too bad Norway is not a member of EU...

quote:
Originally posted by glxpassat: Wow bar1, at those prices I would have to do some serious extended drains!
Is it any wonder that most people over here do 9000 mile (minimum) OCIs ? The last time I bought oil (5 litres Castrol SLX)it cost me £53.98 (US$95.45) [Eek!]

vad

quote:
Originally posted by Paranoil: The last time I bought oil (5 litres Castrol SLX)it cost me £53.98 (US$95.45) [Eek!]
[freaknout] Compare this to to the price of GC at your local AutoZone... [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by vad: [Off Topic!] Paranoil, how much do you guys pay for gas/petrol? Diesel?
Regular (95RON) gas is currently £0.939 per litre Super (98RON) is £0.999 per litre. A week or two ago these were £0.959 and £1.019 due to the surge in crude oil prices in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. I don't buy diesel but the price is about midway between the regular & super gas. That works out at about US$6.29 per US Gallon for regular gas (at £1.00 = US$1.768)

quote:
Originally posted by glxpassat: Wow bar1, at those prices I would have to do some serious extended drains!
Nei. It helps having friends work at car dealers, gas station, etc. so I can get a big discount. I change oil at 10,000 km (6250 miles) or twice a year (spring and autumn.) Castrol and Mobil1 have a really good reputation here. There are other brands that are much cheaper. You can find synthtic oil at USD 25 for 5 qt.