oil for VW W8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only changed my oil a couple times in my VW W8, and so far I've been using the Mobil 1 15W50.

But I thought I'd change to either a 5W40 or 10W40 this time around. These are the only other two viscosities that VW recommends, and I was surprised to find the M1 doesn't offer either one of those (at least I've been unable to find it...).

As much as I'm inclined to stick with M1, I do want to go with something lighter than the 15W50 this time around, so I wonder what people would recommend for an application that calls out these viscosities (either 5W40 or 10W40) and requires that the oil meet A3 specs?

Only things I've found are LubroMoly (10W40) and Pentosin (5W40). Problem is, they're all on the web and I guess I'd prefer it if I could jsut go pick some up in person. Appreciate any info provided on this question. Thanks.

Charlie

Thanks for the tip. I wonder about warranty implications of using a viscosity other than what the manufacturer recommends. I don't know much about oils, which leads me to what may seem a dumb question: Is it the case that 0W40 will be in all cases better than 10W40, so it is OK from a warranty point of view to use 0W40 in place of 10W40?

Just want to be super careful since VW decided (I hear...) to halt production of the W8 motor next year, so if I do end up having to do repairs on the thing on my own nickel it'll be pricey indeed I figure.

Also... Appreciate if you wouldn't mind recommending a good book on the subject. Thanks.

Charlie

Charlie, look in your manual and see if it doesn't list some VW OEM test requirements that an oil must meet for use in your W8. The Mobil 1 0w40 meets the following: 502.00, 505.00, and 503.01.

Are 15w50, 5w40, and 10w40 the only viscosities recommended in your manual? That seems odd.

Charlie,
Here is some info from a VW bulletin:

SPECIFICATIONS AND VISCOSITY FOR 4.0L 270hp ENGINE

Your engine was factory filled with an all season high quality engine oil that has a viscosity grade of ILSAC GF3 SAE 5W-40. You can use this oil over all temperature ranges for normal driving. If you need to add oil between oil changes use any high quality petroleum or synthetic-based oil with correct specifications. If engine oil viscosity grade SAE 5W-40 is not available, you can also use SAE 5W-30, but only for adding or topping off.

To assure that the oil you use is of the highest quality required by your vehicle the following terms must appear on the oil container singly or in combination with other designations:
--VW 503.01, VW 505.01 or
--ILSAC GF3 SAE 5W-40 (when performing an oil change or adding)
In exceptional cases you may use
--ILSAC GF3 SAE 5W-30
for topping up only!

Notice at the bottom, it says the oil must have VW 503.01, VW 505.01 *OR* ILSAC GF3 5w-40.
My interpretation is that you should meet at least one of these requirements, not all of them (of course, VW technical literature has been known to have many typos, so interpret at your own risk).

Mobil 1 0w-40 and I think the German Syntec 0w-30 meets the VW 50X.01 specs. Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 is a ILSAC GF3 5w-40 oil (you can buy it at Napa. Ask for part #966). So I think any of these three oils would work. If you are really worried, you can buy the 5w-40 Castrol Syntec at the VW dealer, which is specifically designed for VW engines.

VeeDubb, I seriously doubt that any 5w40 oil is going to be GF-3 certified, so VW is just out to lunch on this one. I'm almost 100% sure that the only Xw40 oil to ever get GF-3 certification is Mobil 1 0w40

Given that the Castrol Syntec 5w40 sold at VW dealers is nothing but rebottled GTX7 Dynatec, which is primarily a Group III "HC-Synthese-Motorenöl," if I had a W8 (or a W12 in the upcoming Phaeton) I would use Mobil 1 0w40 over this oil without giving it a second thought.

GMan,
I have a case of Synpower 5w-40 sitting in the other room that has a big red sticker on it that says "exceeds ILSAC GF3" on it. I've only noticed this sticker on Synpower recently so it must be new.

The Mobil 1 is probably better than the Castrol 5w-40, I agree. But Charlie seemed pretty worried about his warranty so if he bought the oil at a VW dealer, they can't mess with him. If it were my car, I'd probably run the Mobil 1 over the Castrol, but for his peace of mind, he may want to just get the oil where no warranty questions will be asked (VW dealers can be a pain in the butt in this regard).

quote:

Originally posted by VeeDubb:
GMan,
I have a case of Synpower 5w-40 sitting in the other room that has a big red sticker on it that says "exceeds ILSAC GF3" on it. I've only noticed this sticker on Synpower recently so it must be new.

Yes, but does it have the actual ILSAC/API "Starburst" logo on it? Remember, Castrol says the German 0w30 "exceeds the performance requirements of GF-3," which it certainly does. But it doesn't meet the FUEL ECONOMY requirements, so it can't get the starburst.

Charlie,
My Audi also requires a 5W-40. Since it's so hard to find that viscosity, I'm using M1 0W-40, but I'm not a fan. I have feeling this oil is a tad thin for my motor. Next time I will use Lubro Moly 5W-40 or Pentosynth 5W-40. I know, those two oils can be found only online...
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Yes, but does it have the actual ILSAC/API "Starburst" logo on it? Remember, Castrol says the German 0w30 "exceeds the performance requirements of GF-3," which it certainly does. But it doesn't meet the FUEL ECONOMY requirements, so it can't get the starburst. [/QB]

Good call Gman. No starburst logo on it. I think you are right about VW being out to lunch. There are plenty of inconsistencies in their owners manuals and technical bulletins as well.

[ September 20, 2003, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: VeeDubb ]

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Charlie,
My Audi also requires a 5W-40. Since it's so hard to find that viscosity, I'm using M1 0W-40, but I'm not a fan. I have feeling this oil is a tad thin for my motor. Next time I will use Lubro Moly 5W-40 or Pentosynth 5W-40. I know, those two oils can be found only online...
rolleyes.gif

Moribundman, what do you mean by "a tad thin"?

I constantly debate whether I should go back M1 0w-40 or not but haven't done so yet for two reasons. One, my Synpower analysis results were so good, I'm reluctant to switch. Two, my wife's Volvo 850 turbo was consuming 1 quart of the M1 0w-40 every 5k. Didn't consume anything with the Valvoline. But the Group III thing does bother me. How much is the lubro moly per quart?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Charlie, look in your manual and see if it doesn't list some VW OEM test requirements that an oil must meet for use in your W8. The Mobil 1 0w40 meets the following: 502.00, 505.00, and 503.01.

Are 15w50, 5w40, and 10w40 the only viscosities recommended in your manual? That seems odd.

Well... it's odd allright... Here's the thing: It says you gotta use synthetic, then it says you gotta use either 5W40, or 10W40, or 15W50.

Then it says a bunch of other stuff about A3 and 502 or 505, etc... but the way it's worded, these callouts on the oil can are not sufficient in and of themselves. I suppose I could end all this by just continuing to use 15W50 M1 as I have been, but that just seems a bit thick for winter, even though we really don't get a "winter" per se in the bay area.

It's possible I suppose that I may be overanalyzing all this. Castrol has a 10W40 synthetic that meets the A3 and VW specs...that might do the trick just fine.

The other thing is that for this engine VW calls for 10k miles between oil changes. That seems high to me. I'm doing them every 5k. This time around (15k total on the engine) I'm going to have an analysis done, and get the TBN, but this is more a curiosity/data point than anything else; I really don't think I'll be going to 10k miles per oil change, ever.... it just goes against my upbringing, even though it is 9 quarts of oil the thing holds.

Thanks to all for all the good advice and inputs. I guess I'm still unsure what I'm gonna do exactly, but you've given me some good options to consider. When I do get my oil analysis, I'll post the results.

Charlie

VeeDubb,
I said M1 0W-40 was a tad thin, because it makes my engine rattle a lot more than the 5W-50 I used to use. It's been said that this oil quickly shears down to a 30 weight before thickening up again. That's not a quality I appreciate. Both, the LM and Pentosyth 5W-40 can be had for about $6 a quart (liter?). I might give Red Line 5W-40 a shot, but I can't find any proof of the existence of this oil. People claim having it bought from a site sponsor or something. I can't find any info about that oil. The dealer who carries Red Line in my area doesn't know of Red Line 5W-40 either. I'm tired of a wild goose chase. I'll go with LM or Pentosynth 5W-40 within the next two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back