Oil for very long OCI in 89 Cadillac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
addyguy,

Thanks for the comment. (And I agree with what you're saying, by the way.)

The only thing is: I don't like Amsoil.

(Sorry, Amsoil reps! It's nothing against you guys!)

Perhaps the same could be said for Mobil EP? Assuming there was a quart added here and there, if that even becomes necessary.

Ok, I will bite and thought for sure someone would ask you why you don't like Amsoil? Hope your not judging the marketing but the oil...what's the problem? Redline is only sold by authorized dealers and garages, stores, etc...Did Amsoil fail you with sub-standard oil...tell us your story please.

quote:

Originally posted by LargeCarMan:
Ok, I will bite and thought for sure someone would ask you why you don't like Amsoil? Hope your not judging the marketing but the oil...what's the problem? ...tell us your story please.

The only real reason I don't like Amsoil is because I can't walk into a store and buy it. Simple as that.

I don't care for their marketing tactics either, but that's neither here nor there. If I can't walk into a store and buy it, I'm really not interested in using it.

Plus, I think Amsoil overpriced for my application, particularly since I can buy Royal Purple for about $3.25 a quart. (No need to compare which is better. I'm just sayin' that I have that option and it would be hard to intentionally choose to pay more for Amsoil.)

Fair enough and thanks for sharing that. I would agree to a certain extent...wishing I too could walk into stores and get it. But I will tell you that since the early 80's of using Amsoil...it has never taken more than a few day's to get the product. I stock an extra case for usage. Right now, I order on a Monday and it is delivered on Tuesday. A case of oil is about 33 or 34 cents a pound to ship. Thanks for your honest opinion.

Try a HDEO, use the biggest filter possible and don't worry about it.
Other option is to try MaxLife and see how that goes. You gotten on the free stuff yet? 5w-20 and 30, 10w-30 and 40 and 20w-50.

Rotella T Syn 5w-40 has the additives you need for the long OCIs. Shell makes regular Rotella in 10w-30, which I sometimes see in Walmart. Of course oils don't usually wear out under normal use - they get full of dirt, fuel, combustion by-products. Make sure the other aspects of the engine like plugs, PCV system, air filter and in great shape.

Thanks for everyone's input. I always appreciate the thoughts and comments!

I decided to try something I've never tried before: I'm going to use Shell Rotella 15W-40 (dino) and a SuperTech 3675 E-core filter.

Current mileage on the car is 141,509. I will run this combo until the car hits 150,000 (barring some unforeseen circumstance).

We'll see how it goes. Certainly 8,500 miles on HDEO wouldn't be seen as *too* much of an OCI stretch, especially in an older, high-mileage V8 used almost exclusively for highway transportation.

Heck, the owner's manual recommends 7,500 mile OCIs on regular dino with light service. I would argue this car is used as such, so another 1,000 miles on this oil shouldn't be too much of a problem.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
The only real reason I don't like Amsoil is because I can't walk into a store and buy it. Simple as that.

I don't care for their marketing tactics either, but that's neither here nor there. If I can't walk into a store and buy it, I'm really not interested in using it.

Plus, I think Amsoil overpriced for my application, particularly since I can buy Royal Purple for about $3.25 a quart. (No need to compare which is better. I'm just sayin' that I have that option and it would be hard to intentionally choose to pay more for Amsoil.)

Not all, but some "Farm & Home Supply" stores sell Amsoil. My local one does not, but the one in a nearby town does. I think they sell Amsoil (25K stuff) for $7/qt.

Ive got a 4.5, i use 10w-30 M1 with PureONE filters, or Mobil-One filters, i considered 5 or 10w-40, decided against it because the manual says in big letters "DO NOT USE 5w-40", seems to like the 10-30, ohh and i have ~75k and its in a 1992 Allanté.

I went and double-checked my owner's manual before I put the 15W40 in there.

It said that 10W30 was the "recommended" viscocity and that 5W30 could also be used if ambient temperatures are generally below 60*, and "should" be used if temperatures often go below 0*. For average ambient temps above 40*, it said SAE30 would be fine.

So far, I've only put a few miles on the 15W40 but it seems to be working out just fine. I can't distinguish any difference in throttle response, etc.

I should have a better feel for it after this week has passed, as I'll put about 500 miles on it this week.

quote:

It has a relatively small oil leak (a couple of drops overnight), but nothing to cause any significant concern.

I have found that some of the older cars can develop small leaks in the oil pan gasket because the bolts loosen up a little (or the gasket compresses over time). Happened on my 87 Jetta and my friends old 86 Celebrity Eurosport years ago. Might check those bolts if it hasn’t been done already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back