Oil for someone with rather severe driving habits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question is an '02 wrangler 4.0, 5sp manual.

It's not my car, just in charge of the maintenance. The driver drives really spiritedly all the time. High revs, high load even with a cold motor. UOA looked good despite this. However... What all can I do to aid in protecting the engine? Or is there really nothing besides good oil?

On there is an oversized amsoil filter. Stock oil pump with stock bypass valve. 99% of the time it gets some sort of 5w-30 synthetic. Depends on what's in stock at the time.

Uhhh... Trying to think. Anything else I could do? Possibly a 0w-40 oil? "spiking" oil with measured amounts of ZDDP and MoS2?

I just did an oil pan gasket and rear main seal on this vehicle, and although the UOA looked fine, I noticed that the main bearing caps had some light scoring. Bearing thickness is still within spec, and no noises to speak of on this engine. But the fact that it's there just doesn't quite sit right with me. Granted the vehicle was purchased used and previous maintenance history is unknown.... Bit still.....

Higher levels of engine oil additives may protect the engine longer not better.
In my opinion you are already doing more than enough for what it is and what it is worth.

Only one question: How long are the oil change intervals(OCI's)?...miles/months?

I would stay with the 5W30 synthetic oil and your current OCIs. I agree, you're already doing as much as you can do.

Last edited:
MoS2 I find is very effective if you want to hit higher revs. Added it my engine it can now be taken to the redline in a smooth amd fairly quiet fashion, where as without any added, the thing vibrates and sounds like it will explode after 4000rpm! Couldn't recommend it enough
Also i'm a big fan of Durablend revently and find this oil also makes my engine happy and smooth but if you are looking for a full synth then you won't be interested haha
I added TCW3 2 stroke to my fuel tank for the first time today and this reduced engine noise amd vibrations further still!

I'd use an oil that has titanium.the newest Castrol Edge which is now showing up at retailers contains it. Titanium is a great anti wear additive when the oil is still cold.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Vehicle in question is an '02 wrangler 4.0, 5sp manual.

It's not my car, just in charge of the maintenance. The driver drives really spiritedly all the time. High revs, high load even with a cold motor. UOA looked good despite this. However... What all can I do to aid in protecting the engine? Or is there really nothing besides good oil?

On there is an oversized amsoil filter. Stock oil pump with stock bypass valve. 99% of the time it gets some sort of 5w-30 synthetic. Depends on what's in stock at the time.

Uhhh... Trying to think. Anything else I could do? Possibly a 0w-40 oil? "spiking" oil with measured amounts of ZDDP and MoS2?

I just did an oil pan gasket and rear main seal on this vehicle, and although the UOA looked fine, I noticed that the main bearing caps had some light scoring. Bearing thickness is still within spec, and no noises to speak of on this engine. But the fact that it's there just doesn't quite sit right with me. Granted the vehicle was purchased used and previous maintenance history is unknown.... Bit still.....

0w-xx sounds like a good idea, as does synthetic.

What's the spec oil? The ideal would be to find something as close as possible to that while also erring toward higher-performance specs.

Beating on it when cold - severe
Tracking it - severe
"Spirited driving"? - if oil is hot I don't consider as severe.

I would use a 0w/5w30 since it sees high revs when cold, the thinner oils will get flowing faster. The over-sized filter is a good idea as well, hopefully it wont be going into bypass as often. Why don't you just tell this person his driving style needs some work?

Rotella T6 synthetic. Inexpensive, great oil, and numerous threads/UOAs here showing the 4.0 loves this oil.

"High revs, high load even with a cold motor"

OUCH!

Keep it under 2,500 RPM (2,000 is better) for 5 miles or 5 minutes, whichever comes first.

A mate had a Subaru Outback, and I once observed his wife driving off in the morning.

turnkeypressclutchslelectfirstreleasekeydumpclutchpeelout

I joked that she was in second before she left the driveway.

We chose M1 0W40 for his application, regular 12,500 km OCIs...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
A mate had a Subaru Outback, and I once observed his wife driving off in the morning.

turnkeypressclutchslelectfirstreleasekeydumpclutchpeelout

I joked that she was in second before she left the driveway.

We chose M1 0W40 for his application, regular 12,500 km OCIs...

Yowee....how long did the clutch last?

120,000km or thereabouts...they sold the car at 240,000km, which made the whole idea of $100 per OCI superfluos...could have used 15W40 and still sold the car at 240,000km

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Rotella T6 synthetic. Inexpensive, great oil, and numerous threads/UOAs here showing the 4.0 loves this oil.

That should be a good choice. The 4.0 in my view is more like a tractor engine than today's car/truck engines.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Beating on it when cold - severe
Tracking it - severe
"Spirited driving"? - if oil is hot I don't consider as severe.

You don't consider high throttle driving, shifting at 4k on a motor with a 5k redline as part of everyday driving severe?

The driver is *very* hard on vehicles as a whole. I've tried to teach many times but she sees cars as a consumable, doesn't think or care about "care and feeding."

As to letting the motor warm up... I agree. But as I said, can't change that. I'm just trying to provide an environment where the damages/wear in this sort of scenario are minimized

The driver drives really spiritedly all the time. High revs, high load even with a cold motor. UOA looked good despite this.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
The driver drives really spiritedly all the time. High revs, high load even with a cold motor. UOA looked good despite this.

Still doesn't explain the scuffing in the bearings. That's what has me concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back