Oil for Skoda Octavia Mk1 2.0l AZJ engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a used skoda with 61,000 miles. (auto)
Previous records show its been using mostly Castrol 10w40 semi.
Full service after I bought it they used 10w40 Quantum semi.

Motul suggest using a synthetic X-cess 5w40.

I am a bit wary about changing from semi to synth. Not usually a good idea.

Should I stick with the semi or can change to the synth? Price is not an issue. Just want what is best for the engine.

does the factory OCI use a fixed or flexible?

the motul x-cess 8100 5w40 would be fine for the fixed interval.

you can even look at HDEO 5w40 also. the 2.0L 8V motor is not very demanding on the oil.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
does the factory OCI use a fixed or flexible?

the motul x-cess 8100 5w40 would be fine for the fixed interval.

you can even look at HDEO 5w40 also. the 2.0L 8V motor is not very demanding on the oil.

Not sure to tell the truth.
I looked on the Motul website and it recommended the 8100 5w40 for the AZJ engine.

But just concerned from changing from a semi to a fully synth due to dislodging possible crud and blocking up oil galleries.

Originally Posted By: Brit33
But just concerned from changing from a semi to a fully synth due to dislodging possible crud and blocking up oil galleries.
Unless the motor is sludged up from running on junk oil, or the OCI was WAY too long for its operating conditions, or the motor has some mechanical failure, there's no issue with switching to synth.

Should I stick with the semi or can change to the synth?

That would really depend on your planned oil change intervals. If you want to run longer intervals, then use synthetic.

if you're that concerned, then try ordering http://www.auto-rx.com/

there are a lot of threads on this forum about that product.

Or you could just ask a Master Mechanic like Trav about the product.
whistle.gif

With regards the oil:
Just use Synthetic if you wish, no way with normal use and maintenance should there be a problem

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Should I stick with the semi or can change to the synth?

That would really depend on your planned oil change intervals. If you want to run longer intervals, then use synthetic.

Not concerned about longer intervals. I like to make a habit of changing oil often, either every 5K or 12 months.
I just want the best oil for the engine.

the castrol 10w40 (since we are not talking US) is Magnatec 10w40.... which is a ACEA A3/B4 oil (VW 502.00/505.00 mirror ACEA A3/B4 standards).

the current Magnatec 10w40 has VW 501.01/505.00, which is the standard required for the Audi R8 GT (V10)..... someone can call that "the best" oil.....

the quantum oil is a ACEA A3/B3, should be fine also, but since you're planning shorter OCI's anyway.... the slightly lower TBN isn't an issue.

Some people like to use HDEO's (myself included), even if they are a Group III oil, as they strike a balance of cost and performance.

the castrol 10w40 (since we are not talking US) is Magnatec 10w40.... which is a ACEA A3/B4 oil (VW 502.00/505.00 mirror ACEA A3/B4 standards).

the current Magnatec 10w40 has VW 501.01/505.00, which is the standard required for the Audi R8 GT (V10)..... someone can call that "the best" oil.....

the quantum oil is a ACEA A3/B3, should be fine also, but since you're planning shorter OCI's anyway.... the slightly lower TBN isn't an issue.

Some people like to use HDEO's (myself included), even if they are a Group III oil, as they strike a balance of cost and performance.

The previous 3-4 years Magnatec 10w40 had been used in this car looking at the logs.
But can we really call this the best oil or just a fine oil?

I am leaning towards the 5w40 Xcess now. I'd like to ask around on the Skoda forum too to see what they suggest.

Isn't this engine basically a 2.0 liter VW Golf engine?

I don't see it as being highly stressed?

In fact for a 5k oci I see no reason to use anything but a good conventional Dino in this application.

I guess we all want to do "the best" for our car, but I might call spending money for a 'super premium' oil in THIS engine, a case of 'Casting pearls before swine'

Like others have said semi synthetic 10w40 (ideally VW502.00 approved) will be fine but I would personally go for the synthetic 5w40 just for the sake of engine cleanliness and high and low temp performance, the Shell Helix 5w40 will be perfect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: riggaz
Like others have said semi synthetic 10w40 (ideally VW502.00 approved) will be fine but I would personally go for the synthetic 5w40 just for the sake of engine cleanliness and high and low temp performance, the Shell Helix 5w40 will be perfect.

Thanks. I am looking for a bit extra for cleanliness etc. I might just try the 5w40 Shell then.

Cheers

looking at the manual it recommends

Quantum synth 5w40
or
Castrol Edge 5w30

Why the 40 weight with Quantum and 30 weight with Castrol?

btw its flex interval but anyway I'll be changing it every 5k or 1 year intervals now its 12 years old. Oil is not too pricey here.

I drove a Skoda Octavia 1.9D in Europe a few years ago and thought it to be a very nice car. The body looked more like an Audi A4 than a VW.
I would use any good 5w40 in your country.

The weight (grade, really) is not all that relevant. I'm guessing what these two oils have in common is that they both meet VW 502.00 spec.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The weight (grade, really) is not all that relevant. I'm guessing what these two oils have in common is that they both meet VW 502.00 spec.

As we don't really have hot weather here maybe the Castrol would be a better choice then.

This August has been horrible. Last night In N.Ireland temps dropped to -1.1c record lows for summer!! Here in Staffordshire it dropped to 4c. Heating was on!

YEP my Octavia Mk1 looks just like the Bora from behind. When VW bought Skoda the cars were transformed by using the excellent Chec engineers and parts from VW/Audi.
I really like this car. Huge boot(trunk). Really spacious back seats also and a nice driving position. 2002 and with only 61K miles.

All the taxis use skodas here as they can do serious mileage with minimum issues. Very well made cars at less price because they don't have the Audi or VW badge!

As we don't really have hot weather here maybe the Castrol would be a better choice then.

Being VW 502.00 compliant, they will both have very similar HT/HS viscosity (just above 3.5 cP), and will therefore behave very similarly at operating temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back