Oil for severe abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking around this forum for many years and I finally have an oil issue I can’t seem to find an answer to.

I am adding a turbo to my 2006 MX5 and I don’t plan on being gentle with it. So my issue is the OM asks for 5w20, my turbo builder is saying he uses BMW Castrol 5w30 that you can only get from the dealer, I see the speed3 guys with their turbo MZR motors running T6 and all of the Subaru guys I know say run T6. So what do you guys think? A high compression turbo motor the gets abused daily in Arizona, what to run? I also have an Amsoil guy near me that gives me a good price...

Mobil 1 0W-40
thumbsup2.gif

25 bucks for 5 quarts at Walmart.

Redline 5W-30 has a Flash Point of 486 Degrees, there thicker oils have the same Flash Point.

Does anyone know the Flash Point of Mobil 1 0W-40?

You guys are awesome. So I should be good with either 5-40 T6 or Mobil 1 0w40? Would you pick those over the Euro Amsoil or even the Dominator series Amsoil? Should I stick to 3k change intervals also?

Mobil 1 0W40 is designed for german cars. In fact, it's probably a lot better made than other M1 grades. The cool thing is that you can find it at auto parts stores. When on sale, it's something like $5-6 a quart, but I haven't seen it at walmart. The "German" Castrol Syntec 0W30 has a similar reputation.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 0w-40, Rotella T6 5w-40, Redline 5w-30, Redline 0w-40, Pennzoil Ultra 10w-30, Castrol Euro 0w-30, BMW 5w-30

M1 5W30 with its' HTO-6 spec for a turbo. Your base engine calls for thin oil and you do not want to mess around too much with its' VCT system. The oil I stated will protect your added power maker. If you go too high on the HTHS you risk the base engine.

In a 30 weight, the castrol 0w-30 or Pennz Ultra 10w-30 mentioned already are solid performers. I'd also consider M1 10w-30 HM if the other two are not easy to source for you.

What's your planned oci?

Redline 5w30, M1 5w30, M1 0w40, Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40 (the Bigfoot of oils on BITOG; many talk about it, few have seen it).

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Mobil 1 0W40 is designed for german cars. In fact, it's probably a lot better made than other M1 grades. The cool thing is that you can find it at auto parts stores. When on sale, it's something like $5-6 a quart, but I haven't seen it at walmart. The "German" Castrol Syntec 0W30 has a similar reputation.

The 5qt is new to Mobil 1's Walmart lineup. I picked up a jug this week. I would have bought more, but they only had one at the time.

20130314164049.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back