Oil for rider trans?

Have a 2011 Snapper rider(24hp) with the hydro trans. At 320 hrs im going to pull it and change the oil. I thought I had read here, but now cant find it, that 20/50 syn engine was rec. to use?

Depends on the manufacturer. Tuff Torq recommends 5W50, but there was another brand that recommended 20W50. A few of the TT ones also use a different (Hydraulic?) fluid.

Do you know who made the rear end?

Ok, they used to recommend 5W50, now it appears they have some private label special blend. But I'd use the 5W50 (And do, M1 5W50). My first change was with Delvac 15W40 and I ran that for a season before putting the 5W50 in.

Snapper is part of Briggs & Stratton conglomerate which also includes Simplicity, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt and others. I've found that most hydro transmissions call for M1 15w50 or Castrol 5w50 but the Castrol is practically non-existent at least locally that is, also Amsoil has a fluid that I believe is 20w50 which would work well too.

Thanks folks! Its a K46BP- got some 5/50 mobil 1 coming.
The Tuff Torq K46 has been around forever. Like said, 5, 15 or 20w50 would be fine for the little bit they hold and the abuse that little bit of oil gets.

I'm assuming you have to pull the whole transaxle and flip it over to drain it out the top vent?

If it does have a drain plug, make sure you've got a plan for re-filling it before you pull the drain.

The Tuff Torq K46 has been around forever. Like said, 5, 15 or 20w50 would be fine for the little bit they hold and the abuse that little bit of oil gets.

I'm assuming you have to pull the whole transaxle and flip it over to drain it out the top vent?

If it does have a drain plug, make sure you've got a plan for re-filling it before you pull the drain.
Yep the trans needs to be pulled and flipped upside down. I had to do the same on my K66 in my Deere. It's pretty easy with a floor jack though. Two bolts on each side, the belt, and a few linkages. My transmission was noticeably quieter afterward.

Back