Oil for Nissan/Infiniti 3.7 VVEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a Q50 recently. I went with the AWD (non-Sport) version.

This car will be 75% short trips with plenty of stop-and-go, and 25% highway.

Manual says 5000 mile/8000 km OCI using 5W30.

Talked with the guy at the dealership and he recommends conventional oil for the first couple changes to allow for proper break-in of the engine. Now I know these engines are hard on oil and I'm thinking of going with synthetic when the first OCI is due. I've got some PPPP and some Castrol Black Bottle with "Fluid Titanium" in my stash.

If it is in fact true with what the dealership says about going with conventional to start, I'll go pick up a couple of PYB jugs at Walmart for the first two OCIs before switching to full syn.

I'll be doing the changes myself. I do not intend to use the Nissan Ester as it is not required. The dealership uses Mobil conventional as their bulk product and not the Nissan Ester.

Just wanted to know what your thoughts are about the planned OCIs and if you've had any experience with the VVEL. Thanks very much in advance and Happy Canada Day (and 4th of July to my American friends).

a good Euro oil should serve you well.

I'd go for Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40.

I don't think synthetic oil will hinder the break-in one bit, at least for both of my cars (ran syn. all their life) all showed elevated metals during the first 15000~20000mi.

I like to break-in my car a bit harder than what is recommended in the manual, but that's just my personal preference, and I've had good results with 3 motorcycles and 8 cars (trouble fee engine, no oil burn).

Last edited:
Which oil is recommended in the owner manual, conventional or synthetic ? Which one is factory fill, conventional or synthetic ?

Most likely conventional was factory fill and conventional is recommended for 5k miles OCI. If this is the case then I would do 2 changes with conventional at slightly less than 5k OCI then switch to synthetic of your choice.

My '04 S2000 manual clearly states that don't use synthetic for the first 2 changes to allow proper break-in of the engine. Honda also strongly recommends keeping the factory fill for full OCI.

If it's short tripped and a 5k OCI, I'd use a quality conventional like PYB and just change it every 5K miles. 5K miles with a synthetic is just waste of a good synthetic.

I have an '09 Nissan 370z with the same engine. I ran Redline 5W-30 synthetic from about the 5000 mile mark to the 35,000 mile mark doing 5K OCI's and had excellent Blackstone reports. At 35K I switched to the old Pennz Ultra formula of the same weight and also had excellent reports. Plus the oil consumption dropped although that may have just been due to the engine finally settling down at around 35K miles. The Ultra is no longer available so I'll likely switch back to Redline. I also have been using a Mobil 1 Size 110 filter instead of the standard size 108, it holds a little extra oil which can't hurt. Those engines run hot. Use a premium synthetic oil and don't try and push the change intervals even though you may be tempted to go 7500-8000 between changes. And I would stick with the 5W-30 that the manufacturer recommends. The Redline 5W-30 is pretty stout and the viscosity held up well in the reports.

I switched to M1 5W30 at 1000 miles mark on my G37. Same engine, never used any oil. Car runs great on M1 0W40.

Your Infiniti (a luxury-performance brand, right?) dealer uses Mobil conventional for oil changes? Do they know they aren't selling Dodges there? It'd likely be OK using the cheapest swill like that, but for people who just paid at least $50k (U.S.$) for an Infiniti, can we spring a few dollars extra for something that covers every internal moving part?

Speaking of that dealer, its bunk to think you need conventional for the first few oil changes. No reason not to get right to the synthetic in your stash. Break-in not affected favorably by running PYB at all.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Just wanted to know what your thoughts are about the planned OCIs and if you've had any experience with the VVEL.

There are a few things you can consider. I ran the PYB 5w-30 for a very long time without any concerns. I had some Delvac 1 sitting around and coincidentally got tired of chasing oil specials, so stuck with the Delvac 1.

You could easily stay with PYB (or equivalent). Additionally, just about any synthetic would be more than sufficient. If you're looking at a higher HTHS, but staying within the manual recommendations (or manual loopholes), Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 might fit the bill, given the way the manual wording allows for an API 5w-30 or an ILSAC 5w-30, and the Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 certainly is an API 5w-30. It's also a readily available here and at a good price.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Your Infiniti (a luxury-performance brand, right?) dealer uses Mobil conventional for oil changes? Do they know they aren't selling Dodges there?

It's not just this dealer. Mobil is the service fill at all Infiniti/Nissan dealerships in Canada. The Infiniti Q50/Q60 and Nissan 370Z call simply for a current API or ILSAC 5w-30. Therefore, Mobil Super 1000 (which is the conventional SN/GF-5 variant in Canada) is the service fill, unless the customer requests a higher cost Mobil product. Oh, and because it's an Infiniti (a luxury-performance brand, right?) dealer, not a Dodge dealer, they charge through the nose for a conventional oil change.

That's why he's going to Walmart for a couple jugs of PYB. Though, if I were him, I'd go to the Shell bulk station on Ross Avenue East and get a 4x5L box of Formula Shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back