Oil for new Jeep CRD

OK great wise purveyors of the green elixir, I have a question. We just bought a Jeep Liberty CRD but there was no owners manuals. After a little bit of searching I found out that Jeep is recommending Mobil 1 0W40 or 5W40. I think the engine is made in Europe by Motiv? What I was wondering was could I use a VW 506.1 oil which is diesel rated for their engine with unit injectors? Thanks for any input.

The mobil oils are hard to beat. I think the motor is Italian mfg.Use factory sugegested oils during warranty periods . One less headache just in case.

quote:
Originally posted by Ram_in_Texas: OK great wise purveyors of the green elixir, I have a question. We just bought a Jeep Liberty CRD but there was no owners manuals. After a little bit of searching I found out that Jeep is recommending Mobil 1 0W40 or 5W40. I think the engine is made in Europe by Motiv? What I was wondering was could I use a VW 506.1 oil which is diesel rated for their engine with unit injectors? Thanks for any input.
Use whatever weights in the manual. Don't change the factory-fill for 3.5K. If the weight you listed are correct, Castrol Belguim or Mobil-1 would work real well. I think Amsoil & Schaefers has a 5W-40 also. Those are very good oils too. Texas doesn't need anything 0W... so I'd recommend you start with the 5W-40. If you lived here in Michigan, then the 0W would of had more consideration.