Oil for New engine. COULD NOT MAKE THIS UP. All comments welcome

I believe the OP meant to post this:

Ok Folks I have rebuilt more than a few engines over the years. This is what I was taught: As part of the rebuild you hone the cylinder walls until you have a crosshatch pattern. That indicates they are somewhat rough. Then you thoroughly clean and flush the to remove all the grit your honing stone left. Reinstall the the pistons making sure the ring gaps are not line up. Fill the engine with a low to medium grade oil or one that is made for engine break-lin. Crank the engine until you get oil flowing at the topend to the valves. Starter up, idle for a while. Start driving it easy then up to normal driving for a few 100 miles, up to 500 if yu want. Change oil and filter to a good grade. Drive 1000-1500 Then change to synthetic if you choose. I TIRED to be smart one time: Put in a quart of Synthetic with the cheap stuff for startup. I never got the rings to seal, I was putting in a quart ever 100-150 miles. At 600miles we tore the engine down, rehoned and started over without the synthetic. It worked that time, added 1 qt during 500 mile breakin. From my experience No Synthetic for breakin of an engine. Please tell me how you seat the rings to the engine bore using a synthetic oil. You gotta have some wear between the rings and bore.

To which I would ask: “How do the millions of cars that are delivered from the factory with synthetic oil, every year, break in their engines?”

E.g. my Tundra, which was delivered with a synthetic 0w20, and which consumes zero oil. It’s had only synthetic it’s whole life. Broke in just fine. There are millions of cars every year just like it. They don’t have a problem. Why should this crate engine?

Last edited:
I believe the OP meant to post this:

Ok Folks I have rebuilt more than a few engines over the years. This is what I was taught: As part of the rebuild you hone the cylinder walls until you have a crosshatch pattern. That indicates they are somewhat rough. Then you thoroughly clean and flush the to remove all the grit your honing stone left. Reinstall the the pistons making sure the ring gaps are not line up. Fill the engine with a low to medium grade oil or one that is made for engine break-lin. Crank the engine until you get oil flowing at the topend to the valves. Starter up, idle for a while. Start driving it easy then up to normal driving for a few 100 miles, up to 500 if yu want. Change oil and filter to a good grade. Drive 1000-1500 Then change to synthetic if you choose. I TIRED to be smart one time: Put in a quart of Synthetic with the cheap stuff for startup. I never got the rings to seal, I was putting in a quart ever 100-150 miles. At 600miles we tore the engine down, rehoned and started over without the synthetic. It worked that time, added 1 qt during 500 mile breakin. From my experience No Synthetic for breakin of an engine. Please tell me how you seat the rings to the engine bore using a synthetic oil. You gotta have some wear between the rings and bore.
What I don't get about the whole "no syn in new engines" thing is 1. Off the shelf conventionals and off the shelf synthetics have a lot in common and really aren't that different. 2. Many vehicles come from the factory with synthetic oil already in them.

What I don't get about the whole "no syn in new engines" thing is 1. Off the shelf conventionals and off the shelf synthetics have a lot in common and really aren't that different. 2. Many vehicles come from the factory with synthetic oil already in them.

Given it's a reman, I would follow the engine builders instructions as to oil.

Instructions for my last race engine.
30 minutes at light to moderate load with Non-Detergent oil while monitoring water, oil and exhaust temps as well as AFR.
Change Oil.
Run stepped rpm and load break-in procedure (while monitoring engine parameters).
Change to preferred race oil.
Proceed with full tuning.
Change Oil.
Engine is now ready for racing.

To which I would ask: “How do the millions of cars that are delivered from the factory with synthetic oil, every year, break in their engines?”
The common response to this (not sure if true) is that these engines come with special assembly lubes in them to aid in break-in, so the oil itself doesn't matter much.

Does this crate Hemi come with such assembly lubes as well?

From my experience No Synthetic for breakin of an engine. Please tell me how you seat the rings to the engine bore using a synthetic oil. You gotta have some wear between the rings and bore.

E.g. my Tundra, which was delivered with a synthetic 0w20, and which consumes zero oil. It’s had only synthetic it’s whole life. Broke in just fine. There are millions of cars every year just like it. They don’t have a problem. Why should this crate engine?

Yep, lots of cars come from the factory with synthetic oil. Best way to break-in the engine is don't baby it ... get on it quite often in short bursts, lots of RPM up/down driving and coast downs from relatively high RPM with throttle closed (high vacuum in cylinders). I've done that on every new vehicle I've ever bought and all run well and use little oil.

Yep, lots of cars come from the factory with synthetic oil. Best way to break-in the engine is don't baby it ... get on it quite often in short bursts, lots of RPM up/down driving and coast downs from relatively high RPM with throttle closed (high vacuum in cylinders). I've done that on every new vehicle I've ever bought and all run well and use little oil.
Yep, FCA even recommends that in the manual, and that’s how I broke in my Ram.

Manufacturers have different methods of doing at least a minimal break in on new engines and drive trains. Some blocks are cold spun others hot fired then installed and others actually driven (usually high end and exotics) but all eventually end up running on a dyno of some sort before before being made available for transport.

The manufacturers also machine to a different standard than most rebuilders, equipment cost is a major factor in this machinery, most rebuild houses are using rougher surface finishes on the bores and do not run them. A factory crate engine usually has spark plugs, injectors and accessories installed and is hot fired. and run up before shipping.
The engine the OP posted about was from Auto Zone so it is not a factory "crate" engine and likely requires an old school break in.

Factory engines no longer have the very sharp cross hatch risers like old school honing left that needed to be knocked down to break the rings in, it takes about 20 min of running not more today to accomplish this. Some engines are close to smooth bore today with a very light almost non existent cross hatch, this is common with etched aluminum and flame sprayed bores.
The break in is more about the cam and again the manufacturers can pre run them, most are roller or lobe on bucket low stress units anyway.

Back