Oil for new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 1996 Honda Civic EX. D16Y8 motor. 42000 miles. Thinking of using M1 0w30 in it for the factory recommended 7500 mile oci. What do you guys think?

Original engine with 42,000?! That's amazing!
That car has surely seen lots of short trips. Do you know the oil maintenance history?

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Original engine with 42,000?! That's amazing!
That car has surely seen lots of short trips. Do you know the oil maintenance history?

Yes the mileage is original. Engine is original too. Completly stock, looks like it just came out of the wrapper. Unfortunately no documented oci history.

Last edited:
That's great! Well, you'll get a lot of recommendations on here for different oils. Whatever you go with, it might be a good idea to do a couple short OCI's to start out. Another recommendation you will hear is to pull the valve cover and see how clean/dirty the engine looks.

Originally Posted By: massparanoia
Just picked up a 1996 Honda Civic EX. D16Y8 motor. 42000 miles. Thinking of using M1 0w30 in it for the factory recommended 7500 mile oci. What do you guys think?

Sounds perfect to me!

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
The M1 is a great option.
31.gif
Run a couple shorter intervals and than go for the 7500 mile intervals.
31.gif

The vehicle is 18 years old ?

Time to sober again before proceeding.

The earlier question "Do you know the oil maintenance history ?" should be answered before the crystal ball gazers begin to freely impart advice which is likened to walking in the dark".

Report back was the previous service history was as there may be added more important items to attend to such as:
1. spark plugs and leads
2. air filter
3. transmission fluid flush/ filter pending auto OR manual
4. brake fluid flush
5. brake pads
6. coolant flush / power steering flush
7. check exhaust system condition and replace
8. use quality fuel/ replace window wipers
9. tyres - check the tread and pressure
10. Replace timing chain on milage or time ?
11. Air conditioner operation ?
12. etc etc

A quality conventional (semi-syn) oil with shorter OCIs will help cleanup pretty much most of the muck in system.
13.gif

Last edited:

The oil is fine. We need to know what type of driving , average trip length etc, before we can say 7500 is fine.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
31.gif
31.gif

The earlier question "Do you know the oil maintenance history ?" should be answered before the crystal ball gazers begin to freely impart advice which is likened to walking in the dark".

Report back was the previous service history was as there may be added more important items to attend to such as:
1. spark plugs and leads
2. air filter
4. brake fluid flush
5. brake pads
12. etc etc

A quality conventional (semi-syn) oil with shorter OCIs will help cleanup pretty much most of the muck in system.
13.gif

1: new
2: new
3: done (manual)
4: done
5: new
6: done/done
7: new
8: done
9: new tires on order
10: timing belt 1 year old
11: ice cold

Don't know the oil change history, only to assume that it doesn't have the original oil that it left the factory with in it.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

The oil is fine. We need to know what type of driving , average trip length etc, before we can say 7500 is fine.

Commuting will be it's primary use. Anywhere from 50 to 120 miles per day. 55mph+ cruising.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Commuting will be it's primary use. Anywhere from 50 to 120 miles per day. 55mph+ cruising.

Sounds like a plan then! Should work fine.

sounds like short tripped to me, I would do MaxLife 5w30 for the factory recommended 7,500 OCI and Fram Ultra for 15,000 Two OCI.

If you see no oil burning during those two OCI, MaxLife will clean up the car good enough for cheap.

Only after doing that I will move to Mobil 1/PP & PU/Castrol Syntec/Valvoline SynPower or Honestly even SuperTech Full Synthetic.

Reason I recommend that is because MaxLife is cheaper, you don't wanna be burning and then topping off with the expensive Mobil 1. Plus I used MaxLife in my D16Y7 and it took away the oil burning completely which from my understanding was the seal swelling additives in MaxLife.

Plus an OCI later I rebuilt my D16Y7, and WOW it was clean inside and the oil return holes in the piston were loosened up/cleaner and the ring grove area was a joke to clean up. Where as the other rebuilds I have done it takes forever to clean up the buildup on the piston.

was it the MaxLife loosing up the gunk or the SuperTech Full Synthetic that I used earlier at 3k OCI for 2 OCI? I'm not sure but on the MaxLife the engine didn't burn any oil whereas on the SuperTech it would burn 1 quart every 500 miles...

Originally Posted By: virginoil
31.gif
31.gif

1. spark plugs and leads
2. air filter
4. brake fluid flush
5. brake pads
12. etc etc

13.gif

1: new
2: new
3: done (manual)
4: done
5: new
6: done/done
7: new
8: done
9: new tires on order
10: timing belt 1 year old
11: ice cold

Don't know the oil change history, only to assume that it doesn't have the original oil that it left the factory with in it.

1. Best MPG I got were on OEM Spark Plug wires (from 2005 on a 96 civic) & OEM NGK (aftermarket part #) Spark Plugs.
3. MaxLife ATF was HORRIBLE shifting in my civic, Amsoil ATF has been flawless since.
10. If it is an Auto I wouldn't worry about the timing belt, I had 330k on OEM timing belt on my 00 civic, never an issue and my 96 civic with 180k has this "[censored] looking" UK made belt which I will be replacing with an OEM timing belt soon. My point is if you have OEM or Gates Timing belt, I wouldn't worry for at least 200k, this is from my experience.

Sounds like a great plan; and with your commute/driving style 7500 miles should be fine.

My wife has a 97 Civic. Those cars are rock solid and usually they are easy on oil. I've got Mobil 1 5w-30 in it and I changed the oil every 6 months. She only drives about 6,000 miles a year. Last year I decided to leave the oil in for an entire year to see if there would be an issues and it was fine. Inside the engine is clean, no varnish.

You should be fine with your oil change interval and oil selection. What type of filter are you going to use?

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
We just got a 2001 Civic with 55k on it and I've just been using Quaker State 5w-20 in it. I'll probably be changing it every 5,000 miles or so, maybe longer as its used for a lot of highway driving now. I'm not sure if the 96 was back specified for 5w-20, but you might be able to use 0w-20. Since they were originally specified for a 30 grade, the m1 0w-30 would be a great choice.

Originally Posted By: JC1

My wife has a 97 Civic. Those cars are rock solid and usually they are easy on oil. I've got Mobil 1 5w-30 in it and I changed the oil every 6 months. She only drives about 6,000 miles a year. Last year I decided to leave the oil in for an entire year to see if there would be an issues and it was fine. Inside the engine is clean, no varnish.

You should be fine with your oil change interval and oil selection. What type of filter are you going to use?

Regards, JC.

I was thinking of using PureOne's

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

sounds like short tripped to me, I would do MaxLife 5w30 for the factory recommended 7,500 OCI and Fram Ultra for 15,000 Two OCI.

If you see no oil burning during those two OCI, MaxLife will clean up the car good enough for cheap.

Only after doing that I will move to Mobil 1/PP & PU/Castrol Syntec/Valvoline SynPower or Honestly even SuperTech Full Synthetic.

Reason I recommend that is because MaxLife is cheaper, you don't wanna be burning and then topping off with the expensive Mobil 1. Plus I used MaxLife in my D16Y7 and it took away the oil burning completely which from my understanding was the seal swelling additives in MaxLife.

Plus an OCI later I rebuilt my D16Y7, and WOW it was clean inside and the oil return holes in the piston were loosened up/cleaner and the ring grove area was a joke to clean up. Where as the other rebuilds I have done it takes forever to clean up the buildup on the piston.

was it the MaxLife loosing up the gunk or the SuperTech Full Synthetic that I used earlier at 3k OCI for 2 OCI? I'm not sure but on the MaxLife the engine didn't burn any oil whereas on the SuperTech it would burn 1 quart every 500 miles...

Is there a danger of using the "high mileage" oils and then stopping due to the seal conditioners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back