Oil for new ATK 5.7 liter vortec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those engines will typically go over 250K, are you sure you want to junk it over a $100. gasket set? As for break in oil for ATK 5.7 Chevy, I would follow the ATK's break in directions, if they offer a warranty they most likely have a recomended break in procedure that will void warranty if not followed. I would think a premium dino (Pennz LL) 5w30 or 10w30 changed at 500, 1500, 3000 miles then on to regular schedule would be really safe, I like to cut open filters after each change to see whats going on, but I'm very anal with new engines. I think the Vortec uses roller lifters, so no cam break in needed, for flat tappet cams, I like to break in cam, change oil and inspect filter (I know this is anal, but oil and filters are cheap). Thats my penny of two-

[ November 01, 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Kompressor ]

Yea I want to junk it because the new engine with the core returned is 1700.00. I figure with 130000 miles on the old engine and what is would cost to have it fixed over 1000.00 - just go with the peace of mind. New----

You should be able to have a mechanic take care of it on the side, for about 500 or less. They will have to replace the intake gaskets when the head gaskets are fixed. If you are a little handy, you can do it yourself. I always use a conventional 10w30, when breaking in an engine, but I am sure any of the 30's would work.....5w30,10w30,sae30.
smile.gif
I always run a rebuilt engine at about 3500rpm for about 20 minutes, at initial fireup (after ignition and carb are roughly dialed in), and drain oil immediately after.

[ November 01, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

My current 350 is now leaking antifreeze to the tune of a quart every two weeks. I believe it is coming from both the intake gasket and also one of the heads. Since the temperature has dropped the leaking has got much worse. I was quoted over a 1000.00 dollars to fix the intake and to check the heads.

I decided that if that amount of money was going to be spent that I would just go ahead and purchase a reman motor through carquest. My questtion is what weight and what brand of break in oil should I use and what should the initial drain interval be? Open to any suggestions. The new engine is a ATK 5.7 liter 1997 vortec. Three year unlimited mile warranty. Thanks. Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back