oil for new 4.6 f-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys, this board is great. i ran across it about a week ago and i am hooked. i read it every day. anyway, i have a new ford 4.6 pickup and based on what i've read on these forums,i was planning on going with m-1 5w-30 and a motocraft filter. i'm very interested in any opinions. i would like to keep this truck around for a while. btw, how much does a uoa cost and how get a kit ?

I have a 2000 F150 with the 4.2 V6 and I have always used M1 5W-30 and Motorcraft filters. I have not done a UOA either though, I am curious to see what it looks like.

A UOA runs for between $20 to $35, and you can order them through either of our two oil analysis sponsors (if you wish) at the link below. I highly recommend getting the Terry Dyson package through Blackstone (which then utilizes the services from both of our sponsors!) since it's a great service for someone who is new to UOAs, since Terry will fully explain everything to you.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilanalysis.html

keywest19....
welcome.gif

offtopic.gif
Does anyone know the trick for getting a free sampling kit? I have ordered twice to no avail (we are talking months since the first request).

[ September 17, 2003, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
A UOA runs for between $20 to $35, and you can order them through either of our two oil analysis sponsors (if you wish) at the link below. I highly recommend getting the Terry Dyson package through Blackstone (which then utilizes the services from both of our sponsors!) since it's a great service for someone who is new to UOAs, since Terry will fully explain everything to you.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilanalysis.html

I meant to order the kit at 3000, but I keep forgetting and delaying my oil change cause I don't want to do it until I have the analysis kit! lol...

This oil is supposed to be able to go longer than 3000 anyways though, so no worries. I have gone as much as 5000 on it but usually change between 3-4000. I'm at about 3600 now.

Is there any other container I can catch it in? I bought a little Rubbermaid container at walmart but I am afraid to contaminate my sample.

Brons2, if you will contact me at my email address I can get you a in house kit as fast as a day or two from Greenville, to Austin.

Since we are both in the great country of Texas I will have to charge sales tax. No sales tax with Blackstone.

[email protected]

Mobil 1 0w-20 would be my choice in winter and 10w-30 in the summer. 0w-20 is a great oil so far based on 4 or 5 UOA's.

I have a 2002 E-150, and as long as it is under warranty will use Motorcraft 5w/20 and a Motorcraft filter. My local dealer " strongly recommends " using the 5w/20 avoid warranty problems. They may not have a legal leg to stand on, but I have had warranty 'issues' before and I am not going to give them an opportunity to invalidate a warranty claim based on oil. I even save the upc's off of the bottles and the filte box. Mile 1 after the warrenty expires, I am changing to Mobil 1 5/30 winter and 10/30 summer.

Hi,

We have a 1997 4.6L Lariat that has been run on Mobil 1 10W30 for 200,000 miles. FL-820S

My 01 F-150 (recently traded in) was run on Red Line 10W30. FL-820S

My 03 Premium GT (Stang) runs Mobil 1 5W30 with the FL-820S.

The only reason why I run Mobil 1 is because I change out the oil at 3,000 mile intervals; otherwise, I'd be running Red Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back