Oil for new 2.5L I4 in 2009 RAV4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota put a new 2.5 I4 engine in the 2009 RAV4 (Toyota). It calls for either 5W-20 or 0W-20.

Toyota states both are fine, but they don't recommend switching back and forth. Use one and stick with it.

Does one give any better protection?

0W20 is available in Syn only, 5W20 is available in both dino and syn. There is no harm in switching between 0W20 and 5W20, between brands and between dino and syn either.

On the 2010+ Camrys that are equipped with the 2.5L, 0w-20 is the only oil allowed.

Any full synthetic 0w or 5w 20wt oil is what I would use.

The full synth's will flow better and pump easier when cold. And just in case you're low on oil, in the middle of the desert, stuck in traffic, the full synth should give you some peace of mind since it'll tolerate the higher temps better.

With some 5w30 and 0w30 full synth oils shearing into a 20wt anyway, I wouldn't rule them out either.

I always use full synthetic in my vehicles.
Since I've only used 5W-30 in my previous/other current vehicles, I just wasn't sure about which to choose (0W-20 or 5W-20). I can't imagine that I could even measure the difference in gas mileage.

I will be using Mobil 1.

Where on the North Coast are you? You will see a benefit from 0-20 in a cold winter, but not in summer. How many oil changes a year do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back