Oil for my upcoming trip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a week an a half or so (Dec. 13th) I'll be leaving rainy old Olympia and going to visit Disneyland for a week. This is about 2200 miles roundtrip. The car is a '95 Honda Accord, 4 cylinder w/V-TEC. 134k miles, uses very little oil. Anyway, I'm just finishing up the second clean phase of an ARX seal treatment. I'll change that oil out with 1000 miles on it on Dec. 11th. I've been running Chevron Supreme 10W-30 for the ARXing so far, but I'm wondering if I should go with something a little thicker for the road trip.

Part of me says "It will be cool outside, the oil temps won't get too high, I won't have to worry about the oil getting too thin."

The other part of me knows that I'll be driving through some mountain ranges, and that I love to fly through mountain ranges at high speeds (as long as the roads are clear and dry of course
wink.gif
).

Do you guys think 12 cSt Chevron Supreme 10W-30, with it's 3.1 HT/HS would be fine for this run, or should I thicken it up with a quart or two of Delo 400 15W-40? Does anyone think I should run straight Delo?

Mapquest says that Olympia to Anaheim is about just over 1100 miles, so this 2200 miles roundtrip will be just about a perfect distance for my second rinse phase. When I get back home I'll be changing it out for one last 3k mile run of Chevron Supreme 10W-30, so cold weather starting will not be an issue at all.

EDIT: Added type of car an vehicle miles.

[ December 03, 2004, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: Palut ]

Stick with the 10w30 that you are using. It will work great! Make sure you bring an extra quart with you for top up.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 12000
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 10w30 ODO 92870
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Why don't you;
1. order bottle of ARX
2. replace oil filter and add ARX
3.Drive to Disney land
4. Get one of those dinsey hats with your name embrodered on it.
5. have oil changed in Anaheim
6. Drive home and your rinse will be done too.
7. Enjoy the performance gains,MPG increase and piece of mind you have from having a clean engine

sorry, just read your entire post. Sorry my bad! you are already a very smart man! My vote is havoline

I know driving through hills or mountains at highway speeds using the cruise control is harder on the car than normal daily driving. Add a 10 mph headwind and you'll see some very high revs.

I would use a 10w-40 and a WIX filter.

I have a 89 Honda 2.0... Just completed two Auto-Rx treatments... I did both rinses with Motorcraft 5W-20... (Frank said it was OK)

The Honda runs great on this oil.. My Merc dealership (I have a 03 Sable that uses 5W-20) changes the oil for $14.00 when I bring them the NAPA oil filter...

Thinking now I'll take my 03 2500 Ram, 5.7 HEMI in there for its oil change too.. Currently use M1 0W-40.

Has anyone tried the MC 5W-20 in the 5.7 HEMI?..

So... my vote is Motorcraft 5W-20... Then I would use M1 0W-40 as makeup oil....Any darts from anyone? L

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:
I know driving through hills or mountains at highway speeds using the cruise control is harder on the car than normal daily driving. Add a 10 mph headwind and you'll see some very high revs.

Cruise control?..... Cruise control! .....I DON'T NEED NO STINKING CRUISE CONTROL!!!!
wink.gif

Seriously though, my kind of mountain driving consists of pounding up the mountain in 4th gear. It's loads of fun!

Thanks for your input so far guys!

Go with the 10W-30, it would do the job in the summer too. The high speeds you can maintain help cooling.

Watch out for the Orygun cops between Ashland and the border and also the CHP on the California side as you are making the long fairly straight parts of run down the hill. Enforcement can get pretty heavy on both sides of the border there.

It's not unusual to see a CHPpie sitting in the divider as you come around a mild down hill bend in the road. They haven't bothered my either time I came into view at 75 mph, they usually wait for bigger fish, but don't count on it.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Go with the 10W-30, it would do the job in the summer too. The high speeds you can maintain help cooling.

Watch out for the Orygun cops between Ashland and the border and also the CHP on the California side as you are making the long fairly straight parts of run down the hill. Enforcement can get pretty heavy on both sides of the border there.

It's not unusual to see a CHPpie sitting in the divider as you come around a mild down hill bend in the road. They haven't bothered my either time I came into view at 75 mph, they usually wait for bigger fish, but don't count on it.

I've been leaning towards just going with 10W-30, looks like that's what I'll do. Thanks for the warning about the cops down there. I'll remember that.

I wish my laser jammer was legal in California, that would make the trip take a lot less time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back