Oil for my '69 Mustang 302

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a '69 Mustang convertible with the original 302 engine in it. It was rebuilt about 47K miles ago and I switched to a 3.55 rear end, so I'm probably wearing the engine out at a much faster rate than with the original 2.79 gears. I have always used Castrol 10W30 in this engine and it is not an oil burner. I was buying oil for both my cars a few weeks ago and grabbed a 5 qt. green bottle of Castrol High Mileage 10W30. I didn't notice that it was a blended synthetic oil instead of the good old dinosaur oil I have always used in the past. I'm told that, because of the smaller molecular scale of the synthetic oils, they will find every possible spot to leak out of in an old technology engine. I haven't changed the oil yet and I'm wondering if I should try to return the blended synthetic and stick with the regular petroleum based stuff. Opinions please.

Nah.

The synthetic molecules will be closer to the mean (average) "ideal" dino molecule, without all the "freaks".

"Everyone" is having an easier time using syn basestocks, and it's up to marketing if they want to call their conventional a synblend or if they want to obscure that so people will spring for the midgrade, labelled synblend.

I've been running synthetic in my 65 289 for 3 years and haven't had a leak. I've used Mobil 1 TDT 5w40, royal purple 15w40 and will be running valvoline racing synthetic 10w30 this December.

If I didn't have a stash of the oil, I'd more then likely jump on Quaker state defy or Pennzoil platinum high mileage. Mobil 1 0w40 or 15w50 would also be tempting.

That oil will work just fine. It has a seal conditioner in it, so don't worry about it leaking more than dino oil because it won't.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
It will be much happier with the 3.55 gears

For sure.

If the motor tune is good (not running rich) and the oil is good enough, that motor will run a long time. Even with 3:55's, you should be able to approach 250K...

If you beat on it by winding to valve float and such, it will die much sooner. That is way more important than the rear gear. Not saying don't wind it, just be prudent
smile.gif

Most of the high mileage oils rate well in wear protection. That one should be OK. Maybe next time look at Maxlife. It seems to be a favorite among the classic motor crowd.

The SBF is not particularly critical of oils unless it has been modified... Has this one been built up? Or, is it mostly stock?

You should probably be using diesel oil for the added zinc and phosphorus.
Today's passenger car oil won't protect your camshaft and lifters.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You should probably be using diesel oil for the added zinc and phosphorus.
Today's passenger car oil won't protect your camshaft and lifters.

Well sort of... The changes from older style oil formulas did a number on flat tappet engines that were newly built a few years back. But the oil companies and the users have found ways around that. Some of the modern high calcium oils are letting cams and lifters hold up quite well in hi-po motors. It's not quite black and white about ZDDP...

Most of the current crop of High Mileage (HM) oils from the bigger refineries are targeted at the fleet of flat tappet cams out there. These oils do test well in wear analysis. They test higher than almost all the HDEO's...

But, that's why I asked if this motor was "built" and is running a higher lift/duration cam... HDEO's would be fine for an OEM like rebuild. I run them myself in my 302's. But if the motor is built, it needs more than that.

Originally Posted By: RagTop69
I've got a '69 Mustang convertible with the original 302 engine in it. It was rebuilt about 47K miles ago and I switched to a 3.55 rear end, so I'm probably wearing the engine out at a much faster rate than with the original 2.79 gears. I have always used Castrol 10W30 in this engine and it is not an oil burner. I was buying oil for both my cars a few weeks ago and grabbed a 5 qt. green bottle of Castrol High Mileage 10W30. I didn't notice that it was a blended synthetic oil instead of the good old dinosaur oil I have always used in the past. I'm told that, because of the smaller molecular scale of the synthetic oils, they will find every possible spot to leak out of in an old technology engine. I haven't changed the oil yet and I'm wondering if I should try to return the blended synthetic and stick with the regular petroleum based stuff. Opinions please.

It will be fine. The 302 persisted as an engine option in the Ford lineup until 2001 IIRC, being offered in the Explorer. It spec'd a wide range of lubricants depending on year and application. I've owned a number of them and been involved in the performance build-up of many more.

You mentioned that it was rebuilt, which would indicate new seals and gaskets. Did it get any performance upgrades at the time? If not, any standard PCMO would be OK for it, stock spring pressure is relatively low and the stock cam mild.

Yep, and I doubt that one would have problems with something with sensible spring pressures with today's PCMOs, either. The odd thing here, though, is the VR1 is cheaper at Walmart than most conventional PCMOs, which is totally bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back