Oil for my 496 BBC

Here’s the latest plug pic from #1 cyl. I also replaced the baffle grommet to a regular open hole gromment. I’m now getting oil residue at the PCV valve which now looks normal. Haven’t run it long enough to know if this affects oil consumption.
B1BAB9E2-CDD1-433C-A659-E17DE53A7903.jpeg
lo
378387CA-EBA4-4DCB-81C8-736429841443.jpeg

I’m not an engine expert but judging by the pics the plugs look a little lean in my opinion but it also looks like it has oil burn off all over it as well. You said this was a recently rebuilt engine right? Im beginning to wonder if your rings didn’t seat correctly

No, it was built in 2002 and oil consumption is high. I’m trying to figure out where the oil is going. Got lots of power, doesn’t smoke, idles well. It was showing rich but I leaned it out. Not quite as much power now but still adequate. I worked on the PCV setup and now getting a little oil at the valve, completely dry before. Still think it’s the rings?

No, it was built in 2002 and oil consumption is high. I’m trying to figure out where the oil is going. Got lots of power, doesn’t smoke, idles well. It was showing rich but I leaned it out. Not quite as much power now but still adequate. I worked on the PCV setup and now getting a little oil at the valve, completely dry before. Still think it’s the rings?
If your valve cover isn’t baffled and you put an open grommet in there you will lose a little bit of oil due to it being sucked up through the pcv valve system. Has it always used this much oil after it was rebuilt in 2002?

Back in the day, there were a million different PCV part numbers. Today there are only a few and I suspect most of those are Chinese. Is whatever that's out there correct for a 50 plus year old car that's been rebuilt/modified/changed? Probably not. I had rear main oil drip issues with the 455 in my GTO and was fairly confident that there was nothing wrong with the seal. I tried the PCV that was listed for my car (which, of course, came with a 400) and no change. I tried a few other PCV's that were listed for various higher HP muscle cars. No change. I sucked it up and bought a Wagner adjustable PCV. No more drip.

If your valve cover isn’t baffled and you put an open grommet in there you will lose a little bit of oil due to it being sucked up through the pcv valve system. Has it always used this much oil after it was rebuilt in 2002?
I don’t know, it’s used that much when I bought the car in 2018.

Back in the day, there were a million different PCV part numbers. Today there are only a few and I suspect most of those are Chinese. Is whatever that's out there correct for a 50 plus year old car that's been rebuilt/modified/changed? Probably not. I had rear main oil drip issues with the 455 in my GTO and was fairly confident that there was nothing wrong with the seal. I tried the PCV that was listed for my car (which, of course, came with a 400) and no change. I tried a few other PCV's that were listed for various higher HP muscle cars. No change. I sucked it up and bought a Wagner adjustable PCV. No more drip.
That sounds interesting, never heard of one. Any idea where I can buy it, not at Jegs or Summit!

Here’s the latest plug pic from #1 cyl. I also replaced the baffle grommet to a regular open hole gromment. I’m now getting oil residue at the PCV valve which now looks normal. Haven’t run it long enough to know if this affects oil consumption.
View attachment 150937loView attachment 150938

Do the plugs have more ash deposits on one side than the other? If so, this can be a sign of oil getting through worn valve guides.

Unless you have success with a different PCV setup, I'd plan to tear the engine down next winter and see what the story is.

Do the plugs have more ash deposits on one side than the other? If so, this can be a sign of oil getting through worn valve guides.

Unless you have success with a different PCV setup, I'd plan to tear the engine down next winter and see what the story is.
And put a couple of 88mm turbos on it too👀

I pulled the valve cover and it is baffled. I also wired in a stainless steel scouring pad to wick out the oil and used a different PCV valve. Where I was using 100 miles to a quart, I’m now doing 200 miles. Doubt i can do any better, I’m satisfied I guess. I don’t take it on long trips and the power it provides satisfies me and buying oil by the gallon, I’m good. Thanks to all for your suggestions and recommendations!

Attachments

• IMG_4816.jpeg
    IMG_4816.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4817.jpeg
    IMG_4817.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4818.jpeg
    IMG_4818.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4819.jpeg
    IMG_4819.jpeg