oil for my '15 6.7 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running Shell Rotella 15w-40 in my John Deere tractors for the last 25 years. I also ran it in my '05 Ford PSD. My new '15 6.7 PSD calls for semi-synthetic 10W-30 (which would be Rotella T5) but for severe duty (by definition my tows over 1000 miles and my Texas heat qualify me for it) calls for 5W-40 which would be Rotella T6 or equivalent.

My question is, on the diesel forums the guys running the T6 are claiming lower fuel economy than with T5. I assume this is because it's 40W?
What about running Mobil Delvac 1™ LE 5W-30?
Is it the full synthetic that I need for "severe service" or is it the heavier 40 weight viscosity?

Stick with the 5w-40 or 10w-30 that's recommended. I suppose there would be a tiny loss of MPG, but I think it would be within the margin of error and insignificant.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
i cant imagine a 30vs a40 would make any difference in mpg in a 7000 lb truck

It does on this forum...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Chris142
i cant imagine a 30vs a40 would make any difference in mpg in a 7000 lb truck

It does on this forum...

Lol...

Originally Posted By: Stang40
Rotella also makes T5 in 10w40 if you can find it...cheaper than synthetic but still a 40w.
This

I thought those trucks require 10w30. I ran a f350 flat deck and a f350 long box and they both got horrible mileage. kinda dissapointing. The 2010 duramax I ran got at least 7 litres per 100 km better than the Ford. The trucks I ran were serviced at the local super lube so I never paid attention to what they used.

So much misunderstanding ...

The "requirement" is for CJ-4 qualified lubes. Period. See this official delivery document; see item #2:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...ldt_04-2014.pdf

The allowed grades are here, right from the 2015 manual, page 44:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-US_02_2014.pdf
10w-30
15w-40
5w-40
0w-30
0w-40
Although not specifically mentioned, I cannot fathom how a 10w-40 would not be considered acceptable here as well.

The point? Use a CJ-4 lube available in about any common grade for HDEO. That is what is "required". There is no necessity whatsoever to run a "semi-syn" or a "syn". There are admittedly some grades that you'll only find in a semi or full syn, but that base stock is not a "requirment" by Ford.

Being in TX, I cannot image that cold winter starts (even in the panhandle area) are a big deal to a common rail modern engine, so I'd think just about any decent brand CJ-4 would do in either 10w-30 or 15w-40 dino.

Severe service mentions the use of "5w-40". They don't state if PAO or grp III is an item, so we might conclude it is not or they would have mentioned it. I find this a bit absurd; I've not seen data to substantiate such an expensive lube is needed for the BROAD range of "severe" conditions they state. By their definition, one would wonder if anyone would qualify for "normal". It is VERY EASY for Ford (or any OEM) to push the "need" for expensive fluids to the customer. The OEM easily can hedge their bets by just letting you pay for syns. Until I would see specific data, I'm not convinced that a syn is required for conditions they state.

If you "want" to use a semi- or full syn, there is nothing that would preclude it, except for wasting money in OEM OCIs.

So far, the 6.7L Fords have not shown any great affinity for any partciular grade, nor any disdain for one either. The generally have run rich with fuel at times, and no base stock is going to stop that. If you've been happy with Rotella 15w-40 up to now, there's no reason to think it would be any different going forward.

If you want to know what is "best", then you need to do this:
1) define what "best" means to you, and what it does not mean to you
2) test many products; this will be a LONG, DRAWN OUT process far past the devotion of most any BITOGer
3) review data in both macro and micro analysis
4) select product which has most pros, least cons, pricepoint you're willing to pay ...

Otherwise, just use a CJ-4 in one of the grades and worry about something else.

Last edited:
Thanks

Since I already have about 20 gallons of The Triple T 15W-40 I will probably just stick with it

Well, the newest big diesels in semi trucks, especially Detroit with their 15L, are factory filling with a CJ-4 10w30 now. Trans Am, a carrier out of Olathe, KS, just moved all their trucks (most KW's) over to Schaeffer 10w30 synthetic blend CJ-4. Cummins, Detroit, et al have all pretty much jumped on the bandwagon that most CJ-4 10w30 oils are fine in their engines and meet all warranty stuff. And these trucks are running 80,000 lb gross from the Rio Grande to Quebec, so the 10w30 must be doing ok. Not sure why a new PSD would not get along fine with a 10w30.

For my long hauls (to Colorado, etc) I will be at around 16k gross, some of the shorter ones hauling hay will run around 30-32k lbs gross.

I will probably use the 10w-30 Rotella T5

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Correct; that is a BAD reccomendation ...

Mobil and their overuse of the term "ESP" all the time. Delvac 1 ESP, go ahead. Mobil 1 ESP, I don't think so.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back