Oil for my 06 crown vic police interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. New guy here with some new to me wheels. Its an 06 cvpi with 88K miles. It was a former police vehicle and had motorcraft 5-20 used in it its whole life.

Heres my dilemma. Id like to run 5-30 in it, preferably M1 fully synthetic. The car will see more highway and interstate driving than city. Would this be ok to run a slightly thicker oil in it like a 5-30?

I have two reasons Id like to run the 5-30 M1.
Our wallmart is ALWAYS out of the 5-20 M1 synthetic.
The car will see alot of high speeds, highway and interstate.

Oh and one more thing, thank you for this great website. Ive been doing alot of reading here and enjoy it very much. Ive been an oil guy, if you could call it that for some years now and think I'll fit right in here.
13.gif

5w30 should not be a problem...but are you going to synthetic for the extended interval?

I'd think a quality dino oil such as Pennzoil YB, Castrol GTX or even the Motorcraft that was used in it would be sufficient.

You can run 5w30 no problem, same goes with 5w20. As for the "hard" driving, the 5w20 can handle it.

Use either one and don't think about it too much.

Originally Posted By: Mau
5w30 should not be a problem...but are you going to synthetic for the extended interval?

I'd think a quality dino oil such as Pennzoil YB, Castrol GTX or even the Motorcraft that was used in it would be sufficient.

Im going synthetic because of the extreme cold here in the winter. I like having an oil that flows better when the temps hit 20 below zero.

Why not just keep using the MC 5w20???
Its been fine so far!!!

The police cars here in town are using the bulk Conoco syn-blend 5w30 year round, which is very similar if not the same as the MC oil. So 5w30 oil shouldnt be a problem for you if you decide to go with it.

Originally Posted By: bobfather99
Why not just keep using the MC 5w20???
Its been fine so far!!!

The police cars here in town are using the bulk Conoco syn-blend 5w30 year round, which is very similar if not the same as the MC oil. So 5w30 oil shouldnt be a problem for you if you decide to go with it.

I understand that the mc is good oil along with the above mentioned oils. I just want synthetic, well, just because I can I guess. The few extra $$'s that it will cost me is not a concern either.

Congrats on buying one of Ford's better ideas. I gotta get me one before they're devoured by time.

Either grade should do fine for you. Get your money's worth out of the synthetic. That could be just dealing with your winter temps but should translate to longer drains. Just enough to cover the cost difference.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Congrats on buying one of Ford's better ideas. I gotta get me one before they're devoured by time.

Either grade should do fine for you. Get your money's worth out of the synthetic. That could be just dealing with your winter temps but should translate to longer drains. Just enough to cover the cost difference.

I agree with you on the cost difference. I used to have an 03 tacoma that I used amsoil in. I actually saved a few dollars by running the amsoil and going with the longer oci.

Now that I think about it I just might go with the amsoil again.

Last edited:
My Grand Marquis has been a great car. As you can see I have mostly used M1 10-30, either the regular M1 or at presant the M1 10-30 EP. The 5-30Ep will work great as well. Through the oil fill hole my Merc is still very clean. Looks like new.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Me too. I've been pondering the Mercury Marauder as a possibility as well.

That's a beautiful P71. My Grand Marquis was the same colour...Arizona Beige.
55.gif
Was that a detective's car or a patrol unit?

I don't know if it's available in your neck of the woods (much colder woods...), but all the WM stores around here carry five quart jugs of PP 5w-20, for only $20. That makes it about the lowest priced synthetics you can find. I have it in the wife's Avalon right now, and three more jugs in the stash. I'll probably have to try it in the Camry just to see how it does. You might consider that as an alternative.

Oh yes, and
WelcomePlane.gif

Be careful, though, this site would be sorta like a blend of crack cocaine and crystal meth -- addictive beyond belief. . .

Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower

Skip the Mobil 1, especially in the standard flavors.

I'd do 5W-20, but 5W-30 isn't going to hurt anything.

Beautiful car, that powertrain can easily run 3-400k miles for you with proper care.

Amsoil 0W-30 is the choice for the long haul. I'd bet with a bypass filter you could go 15k miles between changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back