Oil for max fuel economy? ALH VW TDI

You never joined the 800 mile club on the ALH TDI? I did it on 5w40 HDEO.

But I had the 5-speed manual back then.

Seriously, thinner oil won't get you to the fuel economy of the 5-speed manual.

I understand that but was wondering how far I could push it up.

Did anyone actually look at the link I posted in my original post for user AZsynthetic?

Was he lying when he says that he obtained much more MPG than just 1mpg by going thinner?

Did anyone actually look at the link I posted in my original post for user AZsynthetic?

Was he lying when he says that he obtained much more MPG than just 1mpg by going thinner?
I'm not sure about lying, just probably misinformed.
If you look at the expensive details that auto engineers add to a vehicle striving to meet CAFE requirements, then you would understand that any "magic" lube would be greatly appreciated and accepted by them.
Somewhere along the line, probably due to marketing, the term "synthetic" became synonymous with efficient. Additives and base oils are two different things and viscosity is viscosity.

Well that or needs a good math refresher course. You'll get better MPG by increasing your tire pressure 4 or 5 PSI. In all the years of fooling with this 🐮:poop: I've never seen an oil increase my MPG and early on some of them claimed as much as 15%. Lots of AG's should have been bringing lots of consumer fraud cases against them.

Change transmission fluid early with good quality synthetic. That will go a long
way to keeping the transmission parts inside the case.
It's the valve bodies on these. The job isn't actually that bad even for a slow old turd like me. A synthetic with low cSt. Even Maxlife is not as thin as the original.

I'm not sure about lying, just probably misinformed.
If you look at the expensive details that auto engineers add to a vehicle striving to meet CAFE requirements, then you would understand that any "magic" lube would be greatly appreciated and accepted by them.
Somewhere along the line, probably due to marketing, the term "synthetic" became synonymous with efficient. Additives and base oils are two different things and viscosity is viscosity.
Points taken.

Well that or needs a good math refresher course. You'll get better MPG by increasing your tire pressure 4 or 5 PSI. In all the years of fooling with this 🐮:poop: I've never seen an oil increase my MPG and early on some of them claimed as much as 15%. Lots of AG's should have been bringing lots of consumer fraud cases against them.
Hahahahaahahaha! Funny you mention it. I just switched to 0W-20 M1 AFE on my 213k 2nd gen Prius. No appreciable gain. It's probably cause my wife uses the car for a trash can and is loaded with starbucks cups and McDonald's bags though.

if you’re willing to go all out, mobil jet oil ii is $25/qt. 5Cst@100c, -74 pour point, has to be almost pure ester. very close to 0W8 being developed right now

Fuel economy? How rich can a guy get with an extra 2 bucks?
The intent is to be a braggart even if it doesn't make financial sense. Instead of look at my burnout and my quarter mile time (neither of which make financial sense either) I want to shift to something new. I have other vehicles for that sort of duty. I guess you didn't look at my previous posts. What is it with people not reading the entire thread these days?

Last edited:
Back