Oil for low mile Saturn 1.9 DOHC--thick or thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

OK--I know about the propensity for these engines to consume/burn oil. Just got a low mile (less than 70K), one owner '02 SC2 for one of my kids. Does not use much oil at this point, but I am wanting to know opinions of those who have experience maintaining one of these. Do these engines like thick or thin oil to keep them from consuming? Conventional or syn? What brand etc? Dont' know much about what was used up to this point other than it was maintained regularly at a quickie lube place that generally uses PYB. I know some engines do better as far as usage on some brands/types than others and I have no experience with a Saturn before. Vehicle will be used to commute 25 miles one way most of the time about 4 days a week. Vehicle runs very well and does not seem to have any issues at this point. Any input is appreciated.

I would use Pennzoil ultra 5w 30 and see how much consumption it has. That should keep the rings clean if they are not already coked.

I have no first hand experience....I just read BITOG all the time....

Well, since the oil consumption is linked to the ring lands, I'd be willing to bet that any low NOACK oil would be better than a highly volatile oil brand. Because it's the gunk left over from evaporation that is gumming up your pistons and causing them to consume oil in these engines....so the less evaporation you have, the less gunk you are creating.

Unless you're willing to run an expensive ester in this car (like Red Line or something like that), I'd run PU.

I don't think it has anything to do with thick or thin. But I could be wrong. I think keep the factory spec viscosity in Pennzoil Ultra and not going real long on OCI's would help prevent even more oil consumption.

That engine will be fine as long as the oil never is not low.
For someone like me, a Saturn would probably never burn oil it's entire life if I owned since new, it would get the right blend of driving style and quality lubricants.

Most people drive easy and don't care about their oil changes making oil burners (stuck rings) out of the Saturn 1.9's.

I would use 5w30 of your favorite variety and make sure it sees some spirited driving from time to time. Should keep the rings free and it will run great for a long time.

I had 3 Saturn 1.9's, I miss those cars
frown.gif

I have a '99 SL2. I can't speak from experience of preventing burning because this one was already burning severely when I got 5 or 6 years ago, but FWIW I've run cheap conventional for much of it's life and changed regularly and burning has not gotten any worse. I'm running PU and PP now after 60K on conventional oil, no issues with leaking.

I'd say PP or PYB for the "cleaning agents" for now and seeing how it does - if you get to the point that the consumption is severe, start looking for whatever 5w30 is cheap after rebate, doesn't make much of a difference at that point.

I had a '95 SC1 a few years back that burned oil like a diesel train. While I was tempted to head to the thicker range, I read countless threads on various sites that not only are these cars great drinkers of oil, but the timing system was controlled by oil pressure AND the timing chain ran on little Teflon shoes that would wear causing what came to be known as "the rattle of death." I can't remember the exact details as it's been almost ten years since I had that car, (my daughter wrecked it - she was okay but turned the car into the purple potato chip). What I do remember was it was strongly recommended to stick with a 5W30.

I would stick with whichever conventional is on sale and try a 5,000 mile interval. Your driving habits do not sound like they'll be very tough on the oil.

Use a full synthetic 5W-30 or if in cold weather a 0W-30.

The car has an oil change indicator, either that or every 5000 miles.
The drainback grooves in the pistons become clogged, causing the rings to wear.
Hence the oil burning...

Use a Fram 3600 or Purolator 20195 oil filter, it's longer, but same base...

If it's a manual transmission DOHC (S_2) consider swapping fifth gear, you go from a .730 gear ratio to a .605, 3000 RPM's at 70 to 2400.
Really easy, I went from 32 MPG to 39...

Last edited:
+1 on PU 5w30 . I had one for years and used every oil there was in it. Made no difference really so I just settled on whatever conventional was cheap and changed it at 3K intervals because at that point it was a quart low. I would suggest PU because the rings are the problem and that may keep it at its cleanest in the ring area. Just always make sure it is topped up and it will run till the car falls apart. Great little cars, wish someone still made something decent like that.

My parents bought a new 98 Saturn SL2 and did regular 5000 km oil changes at the dealership until around 160,000 at which point Saturn went under. They were using bulk Petro Canada Supreme 5W-30 (dealer standard). I switched them over to synthetics and extended the OCI to 10,000 km. The car is now at around 205,000 km and still uses very little oil - 10,000 km per litre, IIRC. For the last several oil changes, I've been using Esso XD-3 Extra 0W-30 and now Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 as I was concerned about ring cleanliness and making sure that there was always good flow to the timing chain tensioner.

A synthetic is a good idea in those Saturn engines as some conventional when ran too long can varnish easy and even sludge. A good candidate for a 5000 mile or 1 year synthetic change. PP is a great recommendation, stick with the specified grade for now until you get a better track of the oil consumption. 0w30 or 5w30.

It holds 4.0 quarts with the filter, so a 5.1 quart jug should get you to the 5k mark even if you need to top up in between.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back