Oil for KTM Superduke 990

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 KTM Superduke 990. KTM calls for a 10W-50 and recommends Motorex full synthetic in 10W-50.

That stuff is now over $17.00/quart! Surely Mobil 1 20W-50 motorcycle oil at $8.50/quart would be a great oil for this bike.

Any opinions out there?

Thanks,

David

I love that bike. I'm really considering adding it to the garage!

Oh and the M1 would be a good choice. If you're concerned about being a little ways from the 10w in the multigrade, M1 20w-50 MXT used to be called 15w-50 MXT, but it is rumored that they changed label it so that all they Harley owners would use it.

The M1 motorcycle stuff is very good. So is the appropriate Amsoil product. You can rely on a recommendation from Pablo on this site. He'll have done his homework before giving it.

Hey thanks guys! The M1 20W-50 is available locally so that's what I'll go with.

The Amsoil I'm sure is a fine product but with shipping its going to be somewhat higher than the M1 product.

David

I tried castrol 10w-50 synthetic (RS R4) in my superduke. engine consumed 750mL in 2800 miles.

I had motorex 4T 10w-60 before and engine did not consume nearly as much. going to try ELF 10w-60 next.

My SD seems to be one that does not consume much oil. As noted I've been using Motorex 10W-50 since the first oil change at 800 miles. Currently have 3700 miles on this oil (4500 total miles on bike) and have added 300 mL make up oil. These bikes are a little tricky when it comes to checking the oil level.

Oil level needs checked when hot, like after a good ride...even then there can be a difference from one ride to another.

Still I'm going to try M1 20W-50 V-Twin next.

David

Johnny-Thanks! Sometimes I think its too nice of a collection of toys. Always need to do something...oil changes, tires, clean and wax, etc.

Meanwhile I'll throw something out...anyone have anything to say about Belray oils? Thought of looking at their 10W-50 EXP Synthetic. The ad claims group 4 and 5 base.

David

On the Belray...after checking prices at dealer-$20.00+/quart! Thats more than the Motorex oil. I'll pass.

I'd like to try the Amsoil but there are no local dealers so its back to M1 20W-50 from Autozone.

David

ELF MOTO 4XT 10W50 100%PAO API SG JASO MA
$37.23+S&H($9.XX)for case of 5/1 ltr bottles at theoilwarehouse.com
Also $32.48/4 ltrs + S&H at performanceoilstore.com
Try it you wont regret!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back