Oil for infrequently (read: stored over winter) vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Idea I picked up from browsing the UOA area tonite:
Would it be good for cars that are infrequently driven in the winter, (i.e. mostly stored for three to four months) to use Amsoil Series 3000 diesel 5W-30 motoroil because of the more robust anti-oxidant package preventing internal corrosion better???

What are your opinions?

I remember hearing in the past that a marine oil is better to use if you own a car that gets driven infrequently and is stored for long periods. A friend of mine was an Amsoil dealer in the early 90s and he used to put in their marine oil in his 1991 Z28 just before putting it away for winter.

From my recent uoa for my S10, Pennzoil dino 10w-30 worked fine. The S10 sat for 6 months with an a couple of starts and then for the past summer driven maybe once every week or two. I don't think I would have got much better engine protection going with a synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
Interesting comments!
Is anyone here on the forum doing special oil for the winter storage period??? Sounds like overkill maybe....

Probably could find some more info in the boat section of this board or you could even try some of the boating boards themselves as this is a ripe topic for boaters.

Interesting comments!
Is anyone here on the forum doing special oil for the winter storage period??? Sounds like overkill maybe....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back