Oil for high-rpm honda motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

sds

I have two motors that I need oil recommendations on:

1) Stock longblock K20A (2.0L, 86x86mm), ~230WHP, running it to 8.5K daily. Motor has 55K miles on it, and running an open element air filter.

2) Built K24 block (Supertech 12.5:1 4032 alloy pistons), ported K20A head, big valves, big cams. Also revving to 8.5K, more of a weekend motor. 315WHP.

I'm currently using Pennzoil platinum (or Ultra if I can get my hands on it), 5W30. OEM Honda S2000 filter. Can I use this in both motors without worrying too much?

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

The short answer to your question is yes. The long answer is that there's no way to know without putting in a lot of work, but you should be fine.

With those kinds of builds, you HAVE to make sure the tune is right. If there's any problem with the ECU tune, fuel system, ignition, or anything related, fix it yesterday. Those things will kill your engine long before oil choice.

Do you have oil temp and pressure gauges?

Thanks for the welcome!

I have oil temp and pressure on the weekend car, the primary car is my daily and I figured it wasn't as extreme a setup and hence didn't warrant those gauges.

Personally I'd use Mobil1 0w40 for these tuned applications but unless you do some UOAs to prove that 5w30 PP/PU isn't offering enough protection, we won't know for sure if you should worry or not.

You'd really need to know oil temperatures to know if you need to go up to a 40 weight. I'd say under 200 and the 30 would be good, much above that and you need to go heavier. I'd assume you are well under. I think the ultra is a good place to start.

The toyo roki is a good filter.

It sounds like you've chosen well. I'm not at all sure a boutique oil such as Amsoil or other would perform any better.

In my Turbo S2000 (2.2L) I've used Amsoil 5W-30 with good UOA results, but significantly better UOA's with M1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. Might be a bit thick for non boosted engines.

Another fan of PUP and PPPP here also. I've been using 5W30 PP and PU in my turbocharged application with no compaints.

Sweet motors you have there!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Any brand Syn oil will do just fine.

Its a Honda, not a Ferrari....

A high revving, naturally aspirated high specific output per liter Honda motor has a lot more in common with that Ferrari than you would think.

That motor put in a lightweight stripped out hatchback can run 11 or 12 second 1/4 mile times.

Something that is shear stable would work fine. I'd look into an oil cooler if you are tracking the high compression K24. PU or PP 5w30 will do well.

What percent of the time are you running these high rpms? I've never been in one of these cars but its hard to imagine such high cruising rpms.

Nate1979, an example would be re-entering an on ramp. Red line first, then second, then regular acceleration in 5th and 6th. By then you're at cruising speeds obviously. Very fun with these Honda K20 and F20, F22 motors.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Any brand Syn oil will do just fine.

Its a Honda, not a Ferrari....

Ferrari 458 Italia: 125hp/L
OP's Honda: 131hp/L

Sounds pretty stressed to me.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
So if it is redlining at high rpms for only seconds does that really matter much?

Of course it does. It's not like the bearings will say "eh, you only do this once in a while, so I'll forgive you and not get scuffed this time." It's not like they'll heal, either.

Frequent vs. infrequent redlining would matter if it drastically affected average oil temps. In that case we might lean toward a different viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
So if it is redlining at high rpms for only seconds does that really matter much?

If there is an interruption in the oil supply to the bearing, damage can occur in seconds. But that is not something that is likely to occur in street driving. Redlining it in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears a couple of times every day with 100C oil temperature should not cause a problem when using 5w30 oil.

I originally ran M1 5w-30 in my Hondata K-Pro tuned RSX-S but later moved to 0w-40 to cut consumption issues. She saw 8600 10+ times daily. Sold with 74k and still running solid afaik.

5-30/40 is fine for boths apps. Nice motors btw. I miss mine dearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back