Oil for high performance HT/HS VW T4/Porsche 914?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, those AW #s are awesome on the moly, born, phos and zinc!
Definitely something I will consider running after I get done with this OCI with the VR1.

Blackstone says the levels are normal but those iron levels look a little high to me....Have you noticed any abnormal glitter or junk in your oil when drained? Do you run a full flow filter setup or just stock sump? Curious.

For off the shelf, I'd use the M1 15w-50, but would also consider the M1 M/C 10w-40 or 20w-50 oils. All are excellent oils w/ sufficient additive levels. I've used them all in various vintage and air cooled apps.

Could also call Redline and see what they recommend.

Nice car, enjoy!

Also, picture please
smile.gif

VWBobby,

Obviously the 8/4/2013 iron level was (almost) off the chart! That was after the very grueling 8,500 mile, 33 day, Peking to Paris Rally, much of it off-road in clouds of dust, where the last run was past the recommended OCI and we were still running the stock wire mesh sump filter. Thereafter we fitted the remote spin on filter with magnets attached on the outside. No visual glitter or junk, but some build up on the magnetic drain plug. You'll see that Blackstone's universal averages for iron in the 1.6L VW Beetle engine is 27, and both my last UOAs were below that.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back