Oil for high mileage vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the so called 'high mileage oils' benefit my '99 Ford Explorer w/ 162K miles? I have used Quaker State 10w30 forever and change the oils evry 3-4K miles. Thanks for the reply.

I think the benifits of the high milage oils is slightly increased viscosity which you only need if you are starting to consume oil, and seal additives to keep older cars seals in better shape. I have never used any of these oils so I may not be the best judge of them. Seems like from VOA virgin oil analysis of some of them they do have a better level of additives. Search the VOA section for the brand you are considering to get more info.

Can't be that. The valvoline high mileage was almost a 5w20 after 3000 miles.

It's just marketing at it's best. You're paying synthetic price for just a higher detergent dino oil. Why not shell out the extra $0.50 a quart and get a synthetic?

How does the MaxLife 10W-30 do? Does it shear to a 5W-20? I have had good luck with the MaxLife 10W-30. It especially stopped the leaking/seaping seals and leak spots. We have also had great luck with Castrol HM! It just didn't seem to be sealing the leaks the way the MaxLife did, but now after 3 OCI at 2500miles, they have stopped. It was better at giving high oil pressure and stopping oil consumption. My parents are using it in an Explorer V6 right now. I used it in a Corsica 2.2L for the winter, and it was the only oil that stopped consumption. The MPG did go down a bit with the Castrol HM, but it still was impressive. I got some Castrol HM 10/30 and 10/40 for my grandfather, who likes to work with small engines. He was amazed at how it reduced/stopped oil consumption and smoking! I think they are fine oils, myself.

quote:

Originally posted by Roo-dog:
Will the so called 'high mileage oils' benefit my '99 Ford Explorer w/ 162K miles? I have used Quaker State 10w30 forever and change the oils evry 3-4K miles. Thanks for the reply.

welcome.gif

Since you have been practicing good maintenance and if you aren't having consumption problems, I doubt any benefits.

quote:

Originally posted by DSteven:
I have had good luck with the MaxLife 10W-30.

Maxlife 10w30 held up well after a 4400-mile thrashing in my 27-foot motorhome:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001575
The thickening may be suspect. My oil pressure did not go up and I heard a couple folks said they got similar thickening "results" from the same lab. But even better was the Maxlife 10w40 in my pickup truck (also posted at this site).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back