oil for gears on coal stoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

We have an EFM dual-fuel (oil/coal) unit at our home in the mountains. The coal stoker is used only when were there, and with the price of oil as high as it is, weve been using it alot. The unit is nearly 25 years old, looks and operates like new, and is excellent.

The unit that has the 'teeth' to drive the snake/screw, to drive coal from the bin to the burner rotates and slides along a small plate. The oil that lubricates the moving/touching parts is really old. In fact, it may be the original stuff.

Since Ive had LC, Ive put a bit of this in there from time to time. The main issue is that when the surfaces are dry from not using the coal stoker for a long while, and the basement is ~55 degrees, the oil is quite slow to fully coat surfaces.

What would be the best oil for such an application? A ND30 oil? Maybe even a ND20? The parts dont get hot, nothing heavily contacts anything else, and it is all just sliding or pushing.

Any insight would be great!

JMH

How is the lubricant delivered? Is it an enclosed unit where the teeth dip into the oil charge, as an automotive differential? If there are no brass parts in such a unit, I suspect any 90W or lighter GL-5 oil would be appropriate.

normally a grease would be used in areas where a lubrication is not supplied by drip or oil cup or a bath if this is just a "brush" on deal try brushing on a high temp NON soap grease.
bruce

definitely not grease.

Its a reducing unit and crank... where the gears sit in an oil bath.

We have some of the old oil... definitely doesnt smell like gear lube.

But I have to wonder if there are additives in the oil...

Thanks,

JMH

motor oil over ND oil? When would an ND oil be used instead of a motor oil, which could have even an API SL additive package in it?

Thanks again!

JMH

If the mechanism operates slowly I would use a Chain Saw Oil, since it sounds like you need some tack.

the only thing wrong with bar oil,isthe possibly of keeping seals wet,,put a bit of automatic tranny fluid in it,,one to five ratio or so ,,,,,,,,,,,or use a good 80w-140 gear lube,,,if using bar oil ,use winter blended wt.,,,,,,,,,,BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back