Oil for Florida climate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im confused, Ive read as much as I could find, but everybody seems to live in the artic tundra...but Im having a hard time figuring out if I should run 5w-30, 10w-30 or 0w-30 for my particular climate zone. The manufacturer recommends 5w-30, I run it to the full manufactures recommended OCI 7500 miles, the car(03 Suzuki Aerio SX) see WOT daily(with some spark knock and blowby through the PCV caught by a catch can)...it gets very hot here in the summertime and currently we are seeing 40* mornings, maybe high 30s in Feburary. Im due for an oil change in the next week and was curious before making my purchase. BTW the oil Ive used since 5k has been Mobile 1 5w-30.

Any help or recommendations will be appreciated
bowdown.gif

The first number is a SAE number telling you the properties of the oil when it's cold, very cold..
I'm in Brazil that has semi-tropical (center to south) to tropical climate (north) and 10W-30, 5W-40, 10W-40, 20W-50 oil is popular here. Synthetic blend and full synthetic.
I would go for any oil meeting ACEA A3/B3 (GC or M1 0W-40).

I have used Amsoil 0W-30 for the last 50,000 miles here in the West Palm Beach area and it's performance has been excellent. The dark smudge on the rear bumper is gone and oil consumption has stopped. I used to use Castrol 5W-30 GTX and used a quart every 1,000 miles. Use Amsoil 0W-30 with confidence!

I was, sorta. It's just rare for someone to recommend a straight weight. Seems like you'd want a BIT of extra insurance on startup. Even in Fla. I mean, I live in LA and most of the time, our weather is similar and even we have an odd cold morning around here outside of the dead of winter.

Spirited driving winter and summer in Sarasota:
All year round I use these oils:

MB SL600 5W-20 and 0W-30 (just to use it up)
Ford Expedition 5W-20
Ferrari Maranello 0W-20
Lamborghini Murcielago 5W-20
Maybach 57 5W-20

All UOA better than averages despite high RPM, rubber burning around town and some limited track / high speed driving.

aehaas

My thoughts on this:

Since you're doing WOT daily you're working it rather hard and that should be considered as well as the climate in Florida. Either of the 0/5/10W-30s you mention should work satisfactorily. However, if you can find GC Castrol (made in Germany) you get the benefit of its meeting ACEA A3/B3 status. ("A3 Stable, stay in grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and/or extended drain
intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or year-round use of low visc. oils, and/or
severe operating conditions as defined by engine manufacturer").

I don't drive hard like you do and I'm trying the GC when I do my oil changes on my and my wife's car. I know I don't actually "need" A3/B3, but it's there, and can perform very well, so why not?

Guess what Im most curious about is what the 0/5/10w means to someone like me who very rarely sees a truely cold morning. I guess 40* is kinda cold(atleast to me), would one grade be better suited to our hot summers?

I run 10w30 in my stang with some agressive driving. It runs perfect in my 126,000 mile 5.0 in south Florida weather (15 min from the Keys). Needless to say I know what you're talking about weather wise.

The recommended oil for my 1.8T is 5W40 synthetic, but then again it is a turbo. I would think a 5W40 or even a 10W40 would be very suitable for a Florida climate. The slightly heavier oil should lubricate a little better on those near 100 degree days, right? Might get slightly worse gas mileage, though.

I live in SW Florida and while it's good and hot during much of the years. You are not in a desert where day temps reach 120+ F. Just use what the manufacture recomends. My owners manual showes a range of temp and the recomended oil vis.

"The slightly heavier oil should lubricate a little better on those near 100 degree days."

If you read my oil chapters in the Interesting Articles section you will see why I think thinner oils would work better in hotter climates.

aehaas

Well I dont know what its worth but I live in FLorida and I have recently gone to 10W30 mobil 1 after previously using amsoil 0W30 and mobil drive clean 5W30 and I like the 10W30 the best. I drive WOT daily as well and my engine feels smoother at the higher RPM's. I have no UOA to compare or talk about only what I feel as I drive. The only downside I have found is it did seem to start easier and quieter with the 0W30 but very slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back