Oil for Chevy Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just purchased a Chevy Colorado with the 4-banger and am curious what oil everybody recommends, I am considering Amsoil, and Royal Purple as my front runners for maximum protection. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks..
fruit.gif

A good synthetic 5W40 year round! Mobil-1 5W40 SUV, Amsoil 5W40, Redline 5W40 all come to mind. I think you will be seeing a lot of good UOA with these products as they become more available to the general public! I used Redline 5W40 in -18 degree winter cold starts with no problems!

I love the engine, fuel economy is much better than my Silverado, and I lose little get up and go.
It seems nobody is pushing the botique oils over Mobil 1, good to know.
Would the 5W-40 mobil 1 be a good choice for year-round use?

quote:

Originally posted by Oilonthebrain:
I love the engine, fuel economy is much better than my Silverado, and I lose little get up and go.
It seems nobody is pushing the botique oils over Mobil 1, good to know.
Would the 5W-40 mobil 1 be a good choice for year-round use?

Check your owner's manual, I am betting that it will tell you to strictly avoid a 40 or 50 wt. oil and recommend only 5w30 with a provision to run 10w30 in warm weather. Best to stick with the manual at least during your warranty. My wife's '03 Ecotec seems to really like plain old Havoline or Chevron 5w30. Let me know how that 2.8 does on acceleration and hills, it looks very stout on paper.

I test drove one yesterday and it was a very nice truck and very solid! It was no where near close to having the power as my Silverado's 5.3 V8 but it did not feel underpowered either. It felt compairable to the S10 4.3. I'm a little upset that GM gave the Colorado/Canyon less towing capasity then the S10 it is replacing(4,000 lbs vs. 5,000 lbs) and less torque for a bigger truck.
dunno.gif
I still liked it very much and gas mileage was fantastic!!!!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Congratulations on the new Colorado.

Please don't do anything to affect your warranty.

No one has much direct experience with the new I-4 and I-5's, so take recommendations outside GM guidelines for what it's worth.

I'm interested in these engines and I hope GM got it right this time.

I second the congrats. Hope it goes well for you. Keep us informed, as these new engines are just that -- new and without a track record. That said, I understand that they are parts of GM's "modular" approach, and are off-shoots of the 4.2L I-6 presently found in the Trailblazer. I've driven a couple of these (test drives, borrowed cars), and that's a very nice feeling engine. It's had a couple problems; perhaps they've been ironed out and so the I-4/5 will have a shorter learning curve. Again, enjoy your new ride!

If you do try the 5w-40 weights pay attention to the noises your engine makes before you switch and after. my 5.3 silverado now is very noisy on a warm startup with 5w-40 Truck and Suv. I'm going to be going back to 5 or 10w-30 very soon. I did not notice the tapping noise before I switched in the 40,000 miles I've had it. I was going to run it out and do a UOA and compare but the noise is really getting to me. Good luck.

By the way, what is the towing capacity of your Colorado?

Congratulations on the new Colorado.

Please don't do anything to affect your warranty.

No one has much direct experience with the new I-4 and I-5's, so take recommendations outside GM guidelines for what it's worth.

I'm interested in these engines and I hope GM got it right this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back