Oil for BMW B58 Engine in Toyota Supra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm about to do the first oil change on my 2019 toyota supra and would like to move to a slightly thicker oil as I will be taking the car to the track occasionally. Also wondering if I need to use BMW LL-01 or if any oil is fine.

The new supra uses the B58 engine from BMW. However it is not identical to the engine in BMWs that have the B58 engine in them (like the M240i etc) - for a start the exhaust manifold is built into the head (so only 2 exhaust ports come out of the side of the engine and feed the turbo, even though its a 6 cylinder engine). From some other threads on here and other forums, it seems like in other cars where slightly different versions of this B58 engine are used, it is recommended to use LL-01. But there is no mention of that in the owner's manual for this car. This is all the owner's manual for the supra says:

Recommended: 0W-20 C5 for TOYOTA Supra

Alternative if recommended oil is not available: Up to 2 litres of ACEA C2 or ACEA C3.

When selecting an engine oil ensure it is one of the following SAE grades: 0W20, 5W20, 0W30, 5W30, 0W40, 5W40

No mention of BMW LL-01 or anything similar, but like I say other cars using a slightly different version of this engine do seem to say they need that.

So yeah, I would like to move to a 0w30 or 5w30 for better protection at high temps on track, and wondering if I need to limit my search to only LL-01 oils. I also do oil changes much more frequently than the service schedule, so I'm not sure if that affects the requirement for LL-01 or not?

Thanks
Chris

I wouldn't be too concerned about using an oil that meets LL-01. ACEA C5 is a stout spec in and of itself. Since you're planning to track it, I'd agree that stepping up to a 0w-30 is a good idea. I wouldn't be afraid of going the 0w-40 route either.

If I had one I'd use a BMW LL-01 oil. Engine made by BMW - use an oil recommended by BMW. It's good oil and what could it hurt.

And if you're going to track it, a 0W-40. For daily driving a 0W-30 should be fine.

I would choose high(er) HTHS oil for track use... ACEA A3/B4 or C3/C4 (if you worry about its GPF)

+ additional MB BMW VW specs...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ch2289

When selecting an engine oil ensure it is one of the following SAE grades: 0W20, 5W20, 0W30, 5W30, 0W40, 5W40[/b]

No mention of BMW LL-01 or anything similar, but like I say other cars using a slightly different version of this engine do seem to say they need that.

Is the LL-01 spec. still in use ? I thought BMW has moved on to something else ?

Depending on what is available locally, I would probably use a M1 0W40 or the Castrol Edge 5W40. Sweet car!! I'm not sure if you have seen it, but the Papadakis Racing teardown video on the B58 is fascinating.

Castrol Edge 0W30 (on Amazon) or in Wal Mart Castrol 0W40.
If you want LL01, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.
B58 engines in Europe use thicker use, specifically BMW LL04.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I'd definitely go with the thickest allowed by oem.

^ me too.

Original BMW TPT LL04 5w30. You'll have a HTHS of 3.5 or more and it's ACEA C3.

I personally prefer oils with less of a viscosity spread but the reality is that any LL01/LL04 would be fine.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

Overall I'm surprised how many of you saying I should just run the thickest oil possible. For some reason I had it in my head that wasn't a good idea. Maybe because of the older BMW V8 engine that was notorious for having crazy tight bearing clearances and really thick oils couldn't actually lubricate it properly (maybe that was just a rumour / misunderstanding, but that's what I was told by a few people ages ago).

I should clarify that even though the car will do the occasional track day (did one in it a couple of weeks ago and have another one booked for next month), it will spend 90% of its time on the road. So maybe a 5W30 would be a nice middle ground? Our winters here in the UK don't get that cold (apparently the absolute coldest point here since 2012 was -15 Celsius, which is 5 degrees Fahrenheit, but its usually not quite that low) so I'm assuming I don't really need a 0w and can get away with 5w but let me know if that's not the case.

So yeah with that in mind, maybe this would be about right: https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60250-...30-high-performance-fully-synthetic.aspx

Spec is ACEA C3 and BMW LL-04, 5w30.

Seems like it should be what I'm after?

Also is no one bothered by the bit in the owners manual that says if recommended oil is not available, only use up to 2 litres of C3 or C4 ?

All of the oils I'm looking at that are 0w30 or 5w30 are only C3, not C5. From a quick bit of research it seems like maybe that is to be expected and only thin oils like 0w20 can be C5. But yeah would you be worried at all about the manufacturer saying it should only be a couple of litres max of C3/C4? Maybe that's just how they always phrase it in these kind of things, but I just thought it might be worth highlighting and asking you guys

Originally Posted by Ch2289
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

Overall I'm surprised how many of you saying I should just run the thickest oil possible. For some reason I had it in my head that wasn't a good idea. Maybe because of the older BMW V8 engine that was notorious for having crazy tight bearing clearances and really thick oils couldn't actually lubricate it properly (maybe that was just a rumour / misunderstanding, but that's what I was told by a few people ages ago).

I should clarify that even though the car will do the occasional track day (did one in it a couple of weeks ago and have another one booked for next month), it will spend 90% of its time on the road. So maybe a 5W30 would be a nice middle ground? Our winters here in the UK don't get that cold (apparently the absolute coldest point here since 2012 was -15 Celsius, which is 5 degrees Fahrenheit, but its usually not quite that low) so I'm assuming I don't really need a 0w and can get away with 5w but let me know if that's not the case.

So yeah with that in mind, maybe this would be about right: https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60250-...30-high-performance-fully-synthetic.aspx

Spec is ACEA C3 and BMW LL-04, 5w30.

Seems like it should be what I'm after?

You are in UK? Use LL04 5W30 or 0W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back