Oil for Ariens 724 Snowthrower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new Ariens 724 Snowthrower. The engine is a Techumsa 7 HP OHV Snow King Engine. Looks like 5W-30 is the factory fill with approval for 0W-30 and 10W-30 weather permitting. Since it takes such little oil, I don't mind using a premium oil. Would a full synthetic like M1 5W-30 me the best? For cold weather applications, I think an easy flowing 0W-20 may be best. Any thoughts?

I used to use straight 30w when I had a heated garage, then I started using 10w-30 ATM Amsoil, now that I've moved and my garage isn't heated I'll probably use a 5w-30 synthetic or GC. I think M1 5w-30 would be a great choice for you.

I just changed out the oil in my snowblower yesterday with Castrol 0W-30. This is the secound time with this oil.

Mine is bigger
laugh.gif
20050207-16.jpg

I use 0W-30 Mobil-1. Good results, change oil after a few hours of running, then go to the syn. oil.
Some small engines, vertical shaft ones, have a lot of crud in the first one or two oil changes; watch for it.

Hey Mike, that must be at least a 10HP, right?
wink.gif

I only bring up 0W-20 because that was what worked best in cold wheather for my John Deere Tractor (17HP Kohler). Even M1 5W-30 made for difficult starts. Now that I think of it, the Ariens will be in an insulated garage (no active heating) that stays 20-30 degrees F above outside temps, so a 5W-30 may be the ticket.

dwendt44, good advise on the early flushing, I planning to change it after the first use, then after the 3rd use, then just change it annually. The capacity is less than a quart so this isn't the time to get cheap.

Thanks all. Can't wait to use it!

I recently purchased one of these 724s and am expecting dealer delivery in the next couple weeks. After the first 5 hours, it's getting GC. I don't think you can go wrong with GC in these newer small OHV engines.

But our ancient Atlas that the 724 is replacing is going to a needy neighbor with a fresh fill of Shaeffers 10W-30.

I have the same thrower and ran both Motorcraft 5w-30 and later Maxlife 5w-30 in it. Both seemed fine to me. I just change the oil about twice as often as recommended as the oil really seems to smell strong of gasoline. It takes less than a quart anyhow so it is no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back