Oil for a VW 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
drive it forever,
What's the past maintenance history on the car?

If its still under the "sludge" warranty, I'd run a VW 502.00 approved oil at the MAX 5K OCI after an Auto-RX treatment until the warranty runs out.

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by Marco Esquandoles:
Actually isn't it primarily the longitude mounted engines like the passats that sludge. I haven't seen any campaign letters about the transverse mounted 1.8Ts.

The passat/A4 are the ones with the issues as their sump cap is less than 4qts. (depending on engine code) but the GTIs, jetta's etc have a transverse config and a bigger oil pan make it around 5 qts.

However if you abuse a jetta/gti enough it will also sludge up, but not near as likely. But if you listen to the people on here it won't sludge.

dif,

I recommend either M1 0w40, or GC. I ran the M1 0w40 for 5100 miles in my '00 GTI 1.8T & had a sample analyzed by Blackstone. Wear was virtually non-existant.

Despite the bad feelings some seem to have about M1 0w40, it worked like a charm in my VW 1.8T.

FWIW, I use Mobil 1 oil filters. I believe they are better than OEM. I can't prove it, though.

One last thing; I'm running M03 GC in my GTI right now, along with a FREAKING HUGE Mobil 1 M1-301 oil filter, & my GTI seems to love both.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
dif,

I have a VW 1.8T, too. That Valvoline has caught my eye as well. But, I don't have a clue how your VW would like or dislike it.

FTR, I recommend either M1 0w40, or GC. I ran the M1 0w40 for 5100 miles in my '00 GTI 1.8T & had a sample analyzed by Blackstone. Wear was virtually non-existant.

Despite the bad feelings some seem to have about M1 0w40, it worked like a charm in my VW 1.8T.

FWIW, I use Mobil 1 oil filters. I believe they are better than OEM. I can't prove it, though.

One last thing; I'm running M03 GC in my GTI right now, along with a FREAKING HUGE Mobil 1 M1-301 oil filter, & my GTI seems to love both.

It came with all it's service records. The owner had it's oil changed about every 3k at the VW dealer. The invoices states synthetic oil but not the brand used. I have 1 QT of mobil1 0w40 in the garage so that might be the wise choice for it's first change by me. Would Auto RX be a waste of money with it's maintanence history?

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
Wife just bought a used VW GTI 1.8T 5 speed. Thinking about using Valvoline premium blue extreme 5w40 synthetic in it. What do you recommend?

Agree completely with BlueWorld on the A-RX treatment (give it a back-to-back); the history on that engine is it is prone to sludge; but do not despair...GC at 5000 mile intervals and you should be fine.

If it gets warm where you live, I don't think M1 0w-40 is up to the job. I tried it in my Turbo Volvo and on two trips between San Diego and Phoenix on hot summer days, the combination of high oil temp and oil pressure drop caused my A/C to be blocked. I switched to the 10w-40 and then 5w-40 synthetic that I was using and never had the problem again. If you main problem is cold weather it will work just fine. But if you have days over 100F, try something different.

Actually isn't it primarily the longitude mounted engines like the passats that sludge. I haven't seen any campaign letters about the transverse mounted 1.8Ts.

quote:

Originally posted by Marco Esquandoles:

Señor Esquandoles,

You may be right...seems, however, I had seen talk on BITOG and in reference materials used in BITOG discussions that said the GTI 1.8T was in the "reference group" as well.

Anything from a 0w-30 to a 10w-40 synthetic; provided it meets the VW 502.00/505.00 specifications.

I've run five different Amsoil formulations in my 2002 Audi TT turbo and they all work just fine. If you really wanted to be AR about it, I'd run 5w-40 or 10w-40 for six months out of the year and run 0w-30 for the coldest six months out of the year.

Tooslick

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
Wife just bought a used VW GTI 1.8T 5 speed. Thinking about using Valvoline premium blue extreme 5w40 synthetic in it. What do you recommend?

Premium Blue Ex. specs. sulphated ash at 1.6, and does not meet any VW specs. Great oil, just not a recommended for continuous use in your car.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
If it gets warm where you live, I don't think M1 0w-40 is up to the job. I tried it in my Turbo Volvo and on two trips between San Diego and Phoenix on hot summer days, the combination of high oil temp and oil pressure drop caused my A/C to be blocked. I switched to the 10w-40 and then 5w-40 synthetic that I was using and never had the problem again. If you main problem is cold weather it will work just fine. But if you have days over 100F, try something different.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at operating temp., 0w40, 5w40 & 10w40 are all 40wt. oils, no? So what's wrong with using M1 0w40 in places where it gets very hot? You're not driving around with a "0w" oil in your car. What am I missing?
dunno.gif

M1 0w40 is on the low end of the 40-wt scale, and does tend to shear to a 30-wt after many miles. 5w40 & 10w40 oils will generally be a bit more viscous & have a slightly higher HT/HS at high temps.

M1 0w40 is still a great all-around oil, though. VW 502.00 & BMW LL-01 rated.

If GC 0w-30 has no problem protecting a 1.8T engine at operating temp, then M1 0w-40 which sheared down to a 30 weight shouldn't have a problem either.

I've also used a rather thin M1 0w-30 in my 1.8T during hot Virginia summers, and never had a problem.

Anecdote:

I used to run M1 0W-40 in my 2.8 V6 (Saugmotor) Audi for a a few thousand miles. Ran just fine when cold and hot, but at hot idle the engine made an unbearable racket. It sounded like Evil Knivel was doing stunts under my valve covers. When I was 1/2 quart low, I topped off with GC and the engine quieted down. How a 0W-30 could silence the 0W-40 is mysterious to me, but I know which one of those two oils I'd choose, if I were to use a any of that sauce. I'm pretty sure I'd use M1 5W-40 in the 1.8T.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back