Oil for a Jeep Wrangler I-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
My buddy has a Jeep Wrangler with an inline 6 (4.0 L), 3 speed auto tranny, and is used mostly for driving about 8 miles each way to and from work, with the ocassional light hauling (small boat) and trip during hunting/fishing seasons. I'm trying to get him to get away from the quick-lubes and do the job himself.

What oil/filter combo would be good for this vehicle (about 45,000 mi)?

Thanks

I would recommend Delvac 1 5W-40 and a NAPA Gold 1515 oil filter.I love this combo on both my Jeeps
grin.gif

I'd recommend he continue to go to a quick lube place about every 3000 miles. Those 8 miles to work will kill any hope of extending the OCI. Just get the best dino they offer at the quicky place and enjoy the boat.

My wifes 4.0 jeep sees a lot of short runs. She'll drive it 1 mile to work, home for lunch, back to work, then home again five days a week. Then I'll tow a 5X10 trailer with a motorcycle to the race track every other weekend or so, 100 miles round trip. I ran a 5000 OCI with M1 0W40 and a K&N oil filter. The oil looked good and could have been ran longer.

The trick will be to get him to change the oil his self.

The 4.0's seem to like 40 weight oils. So I would select a 40 weight Like Rotella T 5W40, or M1 0W40, a good filter, and change the oil every 5 or 6K. I'd bet with a UOA that could be stretched out a lot more.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyG:
I'd recommend he continue to go to a quick lube place about every 3000 miles. Those 8 miles to work will kill any hope of extending the OCI. Just get the best dino they offer at the quicky place and enjoy the boat.

He could still change his oil cheaper doing it himself than going to a junk place like dummy lube.

Clement, try doing a search on this entire forum using the word: "4.0" or even "Jeep" and you'll see LOTS of discussion on this very subject as well as a number of UOAs showing how various oils did in these engines.

--- Bror Jace

Rotella 5w40(wally $13/easier to find than the M1) and Fleetguard LF3487(oversized, $12) After changing to the 5w40, I thought it was my imagination, but the 4.0 really does rev up quicker.
Just my 2cents worth

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyG:

He could still change his oil cheaper doing it himself than going to a junk place like dummy lube.

Depends on how much care you put into choosing your dummy lube place. I get 6.5 quarts of Chevron Supreme 10w-30 and a filter for $22.00 and don't get my hands dirty. "Parts" alone would be $15.00 and they eventually figure out which way to twist the filter to get it to tighten up. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back