Oil for a hard working Hemi

Good day. 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7. In the summers I tow often. Truck isn't maxed but I live in a hot and dusty valley so every trip in the hot summer involves an extended steep grade to leave. Our highways are also laden with steep extended grades. I have been running the Rotella 5W30 T6 with PUP 5W30 for the extra two liters and 1/2 tin of MOS2. However I am worried about Cat Poisoning. The Rotella is a mixed fleet though.

Question.

Stick with what I got or also I have available the Delo 0W30 mixed fleet.

Switch to the new Rotella gas.

Amsoil Tech reccomends SS 5W30 Max Duty diesel as he said it was also mixed fleet.

Amsoil Euro gas and diesel 5W30

Or stick with a high quality 5W30 gas synthetic.

All you guys who think that I'm over thinking.....your right!!!! But we are all BITOGers and this is what we do!!!! Love oil and our chariots!!

Thanks.

Have you considered Pennzoil Ultra SRT 0W40? I would follow the Owner's Manual. The most wear occurs at start up. According to BITOG and related studies. Amsoil makes stout oil. Redline is another one. It's polar! Best of luck sir and welcome!

I want to stick with a 5W30. Manual calls for both viscosity grades.

I'd honestly be more worried about the transmission. Do you have ATF temps or engine oil temp?
Xw-40 is a safe bet for any gas motor that is towing. Not much you can do for the trans besides installing a larger cooler.

Does yours have an oil cooler? Have you monitored your oil temps at all?

I tow a fair bit in the summer too, but mine has the factory coolant/oil heat exchanger so oil temps are never a problem. I run 0w-20 year-round.

Good day. 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7. In the summers I tow often. Truck isn't maxed but I live in a hot and dusty valley so every trip in the hot summer involves an extended steep grade to leave. Our highways are also laden with steep extended grades. I have been running the Rotella 5W30 T6 with PUP 5W30 for the extra two liters and 1/2 tin of MOS2. However I am worried about Cat Poisoning. The Rotella is a mixed fleet though.
What about that makes you worried about catalytic converter poisoning?

And if you're worried about the oil being "insufficient protection" for hot weather or towing, then that's related to the HT/HS of the oil and you won't improve that much by staying with a 30-grade.

What about that makes you worried about catalytic converter poisoning?

And if you're worried about the oil being "insufficient protection" for hot weather or towing, then that's related to the HT/HS of the oil and you won't improve that much by staying with a 30-grade.
Well I'm worried about....cat poisoning. Just want to see if there is a synthetic Gas option that will be as good. The 5w30 Rotella is gas/diesel lube just looking to explore comparable options, if available, in the pcmo side of things.

Well I'm worried about....cat poisoning. Just want to see if there is a synthetic Gas option that will be as good. The 5w30 Rotella is gas/diesel lube just looking to explore comparable options, if available, in the pcmo side of things.
Yes, you said you were. I was asking what it was in particular that you were worried about given the mixture you're using in your engine.

But besides that, heavy towing in hot weather is a poster child for a higher HT/HS and is often how a manufacturer will designate a grade increase.

That the 5W30 Rotella T6 comes from a diesel oil lineage and may contribute to cat degradation

If you use a SN or SP certified oil, your likelihood of damaging your catalytic converters is minimal. Phosphorus content is capped in those in 5W-30 grades.

So....both the rotella 5w30 and delo 0w30 meet SN performance guidelines. Which one? The Delo is for sure a little thinner. Can't find a VOA for it

Mobil 1 5W30 ESP when on sale for $5.49/qt at NAPA or Red Line 5w30 Euro if it's not, would be my choices. If I didn't have worries about the cat, 5W30 Red Line High Performance.

Mobil 1 5W30 ESP when on sale for $5.49/qt at NAPA or Red Line 5w30 Euro if it's not, would be my choices. If I didn't have worries about the cat, 5W30 Red Line High Performance.
If money is not a concern, then RL HP, or HPL. They won’t do worse than most.

Back