oil for a dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota and so far I have only changed it's oil once. In my old 1999 Dakota I used Wix filters and Quaker State 10w-30 oil. I was wondering what you guys would recomend for oil and oil filters for my Dakota. Is synthetic the way to go or not? Do I need a heavier weight in the winter (ex: 10w-40)? I would appreciate any and all info.

*Is synthetic the way to go or not?

Synthetics do offer many benefits including better engine protection, cold-pumping and engine cleanliness, as well as extended OCI's.

Conventional mineral-based lubes will do just fine though given you change on moderate OCI's...4,000 miles MAX.

*Do I need a heavier weight in the winter (ex: 10w-40)?

If anything, you need a lighter weight in winter for better cold temperature starting performance.

What engine do you have? The 4.7L?

[ August 05, 2004, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

That 3.9 is a great engine! If you change the oil every 3-4,000 miles you can easily get 300,000 miles out of this engine! If you like Quaker State stay with it, and use the wix filters which are very good. If your temperature drops below 10F go with Quaker State 5w30. Otherwise stay with the 10w30 all year long.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back