Oil for a 212k 3.7 Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owned it basically since new... 5w30 always in dino then switched to high mileage around 150k. Looses about a qt per 1k. Mostly through leaks. Runs and sounds great. Need an oil change, been using Pennzoil HM 5w30 for the past couple years. Any reason to change or keep on with the same? It's in beautiful shape and has a newer trans, suspension is new, etc, it's staying with me forever.
smile.gif

If it leaks, it leaks, and I have no evidence to suggest switching oil will stop or decrease it. Why not get the leaks fixed then you don't need to worry about it?

I will fix the leaks eventually once it warms up. Just wondering if there's something better for the engine to make sure I get as much life from it as possible (hoping for 300k).

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
Owned it basically since new... 5w30 always in dino then switched to high mileage around 150k. Looses about a qt per 1k. Mostly through leaks. Runs and sounds great. Need an oil change, been using Pennzoil HM 5w30 for the past couple years. Any reason to change or keep on with the same? It's in beautiful shape and has a newer trans, suspension is new, etc, it's staying with me forever.
smile.gif

That's a lot of oil usage. I was going throug about half of that on my 37 year old small block Chevy and it leaked a lot.

I take it the high mileage didn't help the leaks at all in your case?

I switched my work truck to high mileage 3 oil changes ago because of a little seepage from the rear main and valve seals leaking. I can't say yet if it helped or not.

Nothing wrong with your choice. Is that motor know for oil consumption?

How often do you change the oil and oil filter?

I've seen a few posts here where the used oil from an oil change is used to top off motors that leak. I would think that is sound advice. After all, why add 1 quart every 1k of new oil and then do an oil change when the condition of the oil probably isn't that bad.

I change the oil/filter every 5k. It gets almost all highway miles. Doesn't leave puddle on the ground since the skid plates catch it, LOL. Sounds good, I will keep using the same oil.

I change the oil/filter every 5k. It gets almost all highway miles. Doesn't leave puddle on the ground since the skid plates catch it, LOL. Sounds good, I will keep using the same oil.

Are you doing the top ups with new oil? I think you could push your OCI to 8-10K if you are using fresh oil and keep the filter on for 2 OCI.

They aren't known for oil usage afaik... They are based on the terrible 4.7 and I've seen some cylinder head issues (one that had a lot of miles) but they don't seem nearly as bad as the 4.7. I serviced a couple in the express lube years ago and didn't see any oil usage but they were all owned by people who kept up on their maintenance.

Originally Posted by JC1

Are you doing the top ups with new oil? I think you could push your OCI to 8-10K if you are using fresh oil and keep the filter on for 2 OCI.

I'd agree. That's a lot of top up, should be able to double your oci.

smile.gif

You are the perfect candidate for inexpensive Supertech HM oil. (You are Welcome BTW)
Just don't ask me which products clean oil spots off your driveway the best. I still have residual marks on mine, thanks to the Hyundai dealer for using a very wide copper washer on my oil drain plug and it leaked occasional drips after my free oil change.

I slowed up the oil consumption in my car by substituting some heavier oil mixed in, during the oil change. And top it off with the heavier oil. It didn't stop the leaks, but slowed them up. My Explorer has about 230k on it, and I'm not gonna waste time and money on drip leak repairs.,,,

I believe that the front crankshaft seal is a common leak point for the 3.7/4.7L Mopar engines once they have some miles on them. I have two 4.7 engines that could use new front crank seals at this point (a Jeep with 168K miles and a Dakota with 173K).

Andrew S.

Last edited:
As long as the source of the leak is not from part that can blow off like oil cooler lines.

I am not familiar with how the Jeeps are made but the oil cooler lines/hoses failure is common in GM cars/trucks.

Last edited:
No oil cooler on the Liberty - at least not in my 2006. By 220,000 miles it was using 1 qt every 2k miles or so. Never a drop in the ground, seems to have been valve stem seals.

I'd consider trying Mobil 1 High Mileage, maybe 10W-30, once they have the rebate and see if the AN esters make a difference...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
I'd consider trying Mobil 1 High Mileage, maybe 10W-30, once they have the rebate and see if the AN esters make a difference...

The economy tanking could spell annual April Mobil-1 rebates tanking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back