Oil for a 2003 Acura TL-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
It calls for 5w-20 but I been running Amsoil 10w-30 in it. I thinking it's a bit heavy for this engine. Is 0w-30 better or something else?

5w-20 is thinner when it's cool which is best when the mfr recommends it. 5w-30 and 10w-30 are both thin when they're hot. HD 0w-30 and German Castrol are a little thicker, so don't buy that.

Yes, the Amsoil Series 2000 would be much better than their 10w-30 in this application. Since you live in Florida, I'd stick with 0w-30 over 5w-20 if you drive very hard.

TS

Quote:

It calls for 5w-20 but I been running Amsoil 10w-30 in it. I thinking it's a bit heavy for this engine. Is 0w-30 better or something else?

You're not hurting anything running a full synthetic 10W-30* in your engine. With your climate (especially if you "get on it" periodically), you're probably doing your engine a favor. Don't change a thing.

*Synthetic base stocks have naturally higher inherent viscosity indexes than Group I & II base stocks. That advantage means they maintain an acceptable viscosity range over broader temperature variations with less reliance on viscosity index improver polymers.

Thanks,

I was thinking Amsoil S2K 0w-30 because it was a little thinner and I could use it in my Toyota 4 runner V6. Good move?

I felt that 20w oil in any engine was not a good idea, I have a habit of standing on the throttle at times and it is so HOT here. I was a bit ________ after buying this car when I seen 5w-20 oil, so I called Acura Customer Care and stated sorry I didn’t buy a BMW 330i as I felt at lease German's called for oil. I did think 5w-20 should be used for engines with roller bearings and even with this I would be worried about hitting the GAS.

Over all my attitude maybe changing, so is thinner better?

BTW Orlando, Florida if it helps.

If 5W-20 holds up fine in Dr. Haas' Lamborghini and Maybach (neither of which is even spec'd for 5W-20) in Sarasota Florida, it can surely stand up to anything your Acura can dish out which is spec'd for a 5W-20 oil.
Quote:

I am using these:

5W-20 Red Line in my twin turbo Maybach 57 with over 600 BHP
5W-20 Red Line in my wife's Lamborghini with over 600 BHP

aehaas

From this thread:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB1&Number=727855

My
twocents.gif

Quote:

so I called Acura Customer Care and stated sorry I didn’t buy a BMW 330i as I felt at lease German's called for oil.

Goes to show how much better Honda/Acura engines are compared to German engines.
cool.gif

No one say yes OK use Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30, ok for this engine 2003 Acura V6 3.2 TL-s and for 1999 Toyota 3.4 V6 4Runner?

If your engine specs 5w20 run it and run it as hard as you like.. You are not going to hurt it. You should run the lightest grade recomended and be happy you don't have some poorly machined engine that requires heavy oils to make up for poor manufacturing.
wink.gif

Quote:

If your engine specs 5w20 run it and run it as hard as you like.. You are not going to hurt it. You should run the lightest grade recomended and be happy you don't have some poorly machined engine that requires heavy oils to make up for poor manufacturing.
wink.gif

Smart man here.
cheers.gif

I didn't realize DC, GM, Toyota started using it also. The last I known it was Honda and Ford only. This is why I support this site from time to time as I know I don't know oil like some members here, so that was my support. Less knowledge more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back