Oil for a 2000 Chrysler LHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just drained out some lovely black oil, which I can't even remember what brand/weight it was, for some Havoline high mileage 5w30 and a SuperTech oil filter (ST16)

Wonder what you guys think of that oil/weight/filter for an LHS that has about 130k miles.

It's my dads car that I take care of from time to time, and he said it use to burn about a quart of oil, so I switched to using 5w30 or 10w40 high mileage oils that I would find on special. I think the old oil was Pennzoil HM 10w40. Sure seemed to clean things up. I drained 5 quarts, so doesn't seem to have burned any oil.

The Havoline was only $14, filter was $3. Hope that combo makes for a nice sub-$20 oil change on a strictly A to B type car.

PS that car has FREEZING cold AC. LOL

10w-30 mobil 1 high mileage with a good filter.

what does the manual for a 3.5 call for. how often did he change the oil, PCV valve.

My brother had a 93 intrepid, ran it 15 years and 185k miles, never any issues, but he kept up on the maintenance.

I would be more concerned about the transaxle, coolant and power steering fluids if pop neglected those

Originally Posted By: VNTS

what does the manual for a 3.5 call for.

If my memory serves me right, I believe 10w30 was spec'd for the 3.5L.

I drove a rental LHS back in the 90s when I went to Nashville with some buddies. If I could find one of these or an Intrepid R/T with low miles, I'd snag it in a heart beat. Always liked those cars. On the flip side, I never liked the looks of the Concorde....looked like a catfish with wheels.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth

I drove a rental LHS back in the 90s when I went to Nashville with some buddies. If I could find one of these or an Intrepid R/T with low miles, I'd snag it in a heart beat. Always liked those cars. On the flip side, I never liked the looks of the Concorde....looked like a catfish with wheels.

always thought about finding a good MY2001 LHS.

it would be for my nephew, born in 2001, Initials LHS.

The LHS has actually been very reliable. Just didn't sell as well as the intrepid apparently.

If I recall, the big problem with the LHS (and some other cars by Chrysler) is that it had the 3.5 engine, which is notorious for oil issues, due to insufficient oil flow, etc..

In this article , it is pointed out:

Quote:
The engine is a variation of the very reliable 3.3-liter engine. The bores were enlarged and the compression ratio increased. The engine also has new cylinder heads and manifolds designed to work with the overhead cams. In addition, the intake system uses a dual throttle cross-ram intake with a tuning manifold valve. The engine was modified to accept a front mounted oil pump and timing belt to run the overhead cams. It was originally installed in the 1993-1997 LH vehicles (Intrepid, New Yorker, LHS, Eagle Visions, Prowler). Then the engine was redesigned, changed to an aluminum block and tweaked to provide up to 255HP.

Unfortunately, the engineers didn’t increase the size of the oil gallery passages or the coolant pipe that runs under the intake manifold. Another problem is the undersized PCV system. It doesn’t pull enough air through the crankcase, and that can result in oil sludging issues.

... having said that, it seems that what you're doing is working. Your oil/filter choices seem fine. Keep it up.

We still have one of those 3.5's in my son's Concorde, a 2004. It is spec'd for 10w30. I use Castrol HM 10w30 in it mostly, or in winter Castrol HM 5w30 which is thicker than most ILSAC 10w30's anyway.

It does make oil disappear, and he is not good at checking it. Drives me crazy. Recently he complained it had been making noise for a week (and he still drove it bang head on wall). Did an OCI on it and drained very little oil out of it. Looked like about 2 quarts max of very black nasty oil. After the OCI and about a 100 miles the noise completely quit, and was much better almost immediately.

One positive, the experience scared him a bit and now he actually checks his oil.

Good engine and nice car by the way. When he bought it, if he didn't buy it I was going to it was that nice and that good of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back