Oil for a 1981 Kawasaki 450?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First - I know nothing about bikes. But a friend is giving me the above bike and I'd like to service it before riding.

- Any recommendations for motor oil?
- Besides the engine, what else should I be maintaining?

A little OT but:
I'll be getting my permit soon and registering the bike, but before I get on the road, I need a helmet. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

re: Helmet Don't put a two-bit lid on a sawbuck head! There were two very good articles in Motorcyclist magazine about helmet design, DOT vs. SNELL, Euro standards and safety, all within the last year, or so. I have had an ARAI for years, and it is a very comfortable, high quality and high priced helemet. I also just purchased a DOT/SNELL certified KBC (Korean) TK-12 Fuel full face helmet on closeout at Cycle Gear for $59.99.

I won't want to ride in it all day, but for $60 I have a brand new helmet with a removable, washable interior lining, and a brand new faceshield. Replacement shields can cost $40...

re: Service before riding Don't risk your life on tires/tubes/valve stems that may be 25 years old. Find out how old the tires and tubes are: 5 years or so, no problem if they look to be in good shape and don't have obvious damage. If unsure, buy NEW and BE SURE.

Plugs, check the air filter, lube & adjust the chain, REPLACE THE BRAKE FLUID. Have someone who is more familiar with older motorcycles check it out before you risk your life & limb on a bike, especially if you are unfamiliar with motorcycles in general.

Lastly: take a Mortorcycle Safety Foundation beginning rider course.

Cheers!

p.s. Oh, yes! Oil? Delo 15W-40 will work fine. A gallon ought to last a summer or so. Have fun!

Norm, I couldn't agree with you more!! I've been riding 26 years and am a firm believer in a full face helmet - so might say, "that ain't cool..." and my response is "neither is a busted up face, teeth knocked out, jaws broken, etc., etc...."

I too would have the back fully serviced by a properly trained mechanic, period - it is your life on those 2 wheels...

As far as I am concerned, SAFETY FIRST!

RevRider

Thanks guys!

I'm all for the full face helmet, cause its gotta provide better protection. And since I'm getting the bike for free, I can afford to invest in my safety gear.

The information I've gathered tells me that the motorcycle courses are very important. But I don't think I'll be taking one this year. This year I plan on tinkering with the bike and getting familiar with it. I may not actually ride the bike on public roads, and if so, only back roads. I don't plan on rushing into it yet
smile.gif

I'd like to do as much maintenance as I can so I can familarize myself with the bike. The guy who is giving me the bike will help me go through it, and is a very knowledgable biker. However I still need to pass a motorcycle inspection in the state of MA, so it will end up going into a motorcycle shop for that anyway. While in the shop I'll have the mechanics go through the bike there as well.

As far as I know it had new tires, chain and brakes installed last year. Needs cosmetic work and tinkering (carb needs cleaning and possible rebuild, lights and reflectors) to pass inspection. With the work it needs and the time I have, I might not get to ride it this year. But I'll be prepared for a full season next year.

I would seriously think about Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic. It goes for about $15 / gallon at Walmart. It is a HDEO that holds up very well in bikes. I use it in my 06 Kawasaki 750 and love it.

Until recently, Most japanese cycles called for 10W-40 auto oil (high quality/name brand).
If the oil is normal looking at oil change, the Rotella is fine. If particular dirty, I suggest a name brand dino oil, a new filter, and a short interval for a second oil change; then the Rotella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back