oil for a 1.6L Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRD

Hi everyone,
This is my first post so please be easy on me
smile.gif

I am trying to decide on which oil I should be using. A little history on my engine would probably help.
The engine is a Honda 1.6L DOHC VTEC. It has 83K miles (every one put on by me) and oil/filter has been religiously changed using 'Honda' oil & filters at 3Kmile/3Month intervals.
Recently the engine was fully rebuilt to gain performance. Blueprinted/Balanced, new pistons, cams, valvetrain, ported/polished, raised rev limit and so on.
My engine builder said that other than some mild carbon build up on the original pistons, the engine was one of the 'cleanest' they have ever seen and commented that whatever I was doing, keep on doing it. This obviosly made me happy.
Oh I also live in a climate where the winters get below freezing and this engine will be used during these times.

Of course after reading this site for a few months, I figure there must be something better out there
rolleyes.gif

I will be still using a 3Kmile/3Month oil change schedule no matter what oil I go with, just because that is how I am. lol!

So, I was leaning toward using a K&N oil filter with schaeffer's #701 (5W-30) oil and #131 Neutra in the fuel.

Since there are so many choices out there, I guess I just need some reassurance before I pour something into my engine.
Yeah I will be doing an UOA, but opinions are always nice to get one started in the right direction
smile.gif

quote:

So, I was leaning toward using a K&N oil filter with schaeffer's #701 (5W-30) oil and #131 Neutra in the fuel.

An excellent choice, as a matter of fact I'm running this identical combo in my 95 Firebird Formula right now. Although as I posted yesterday, I'm going to be trying out 0w30 Castrol Formula SLX in it next. I will stick with the K&N oil filters for sure though.

My wife has a 2000 Honda Civic (1.6L engine), and right now it's running 5w30 Royal Purple and a K&N oil filter, with excellent results so far.

[ August 04, 2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back