Oil for 95 Mercedes E320 sedan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend and I checked in the owner's manual and it simply refers to a list of factory recommended. No list was in the car.

I mentioned the German Castrol Syntec since it has MB approvals. Do you think this is good? It looks like this 3.2 liter machine uses 7.5 liters. I figure with that large a sump, she's good for one year or 12,000 km easily.

What do you think?

Yes, the German Castrol would be a good choice.

M1 0W-40 also meets MB spec, but is a bit harder to find in Toronto.

Delvac 1 5W-40 (available at most TO Walmarts) would be another great choice, especially for extended drains, since it has a heavy-duty additive package.

The German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 will be OK. How many miles/kilometers does the car have? If the Mercedes has a lot of mileage then I would suggest something slightly thicker like a 0W-40 or 5W-40 ACEA rated A3/B3/B4 motor oil. I think 12,000 kilometers or one year should be OK for any ACEA rated A3/B3/B4 oil in this vehicle if it is in good condition and has been well maintaned. Try this link for Mercedes approved oils. web page

[ November 06, 2003, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Any A3 oil should do just fine. However, if the car's a 95 and you have anything resembling a car with the appropriate mileage for that age, you will probably burn thru the 0-30 in short order. My recommendation goes to a 5-40 or 5-50 synthetic eg. Castrol Syntec as I can't seem to find any 5-40 synths in Toronto anymore.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Any A3 oil should do just fine. However, if the car's a 95 and you have anything resembling a car with the appropriate mileage for that age, you will probably burn thru the 0-30 in short order. My recommendation goes to a 5-40 or 5-50 synthetic eg. Castrol Syntec as I can't seem to find any 5-40 synths in Toronto anymore.

Doesn't Peninsula motors still sell the 5w40 Castrol? (the stuff from Belgium)

I used to see Havoline 5w40 a lot in the past, but it's been gone from the shelves of Walmart for at least a year now.

I have a 95 E320 and live in the same climate. If you contact MBUSA using their 800 number they will send you free of charge the approved lubricant list for your car. Dino oil is approved for that car. I use 5W30 winter, 10W30 summer.

I agree with your observation that the oil can last longer. I'm a 3000 mile changer with dino oil, and I find the oil coming out is rather clean at 3000 miles compared with other cars I service. 5000 miles between changes should be okay for the anal-retentive folk like us.

Since the owner's manual was published, MB has revised the oil charge by specifying a half liter less (7.0 vs 7.5 liters), roughly halfway between min and max on the dipstick. Turns out the original specified charge was too hard on the main crank seals and promoted leakage. On your next oil change put in 7 liters, run the car a bit, then carefully check the dipstick. Use that level as a benchmark for keep the oil topped off.

I invite you to participate on Mercedesshop.com for any other issues you may have on your Mercedes.

[ November 06, 2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Kestas ]

I won't make any oil recomendations, but I just discovered that site Kestas mentioned, very nice indeed. Another good one is here...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

I'm on my second MB, great cars but if you have to pay the man to work on them it gets very costly (judging by previous owner records).

Thanks for the replies. The car has 117,000 km which is about 73,000 miles. It is a 'second car" to a minivan so it sees little mileage. It is in good condition.

How is the engine wiring harness and head gasket on that car? These are known weakpoints along with the original OVP (overvoltage protection relay).

The head gaskets are prone to leak oil to outside of the engine at the rear passenger side corner. At 73,000 miles, you should keep an eye out for that. Some 320 engines go up to 120,000 miles without needing a new head gasket. The new gaskets are redesigned and improved.

Also check the insulation of the engine wiring harness under the loom. You may be appalled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back